Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with asparagus

I am new to asparagus growing.
    I bought 4 crowns about 3 weeks ago & potted them up in biggish pots. One of them started growing straight away & has a spear which is about 8 inches long while the other 3 have done nothing. Is the spear normal - do they not grow leaves? Should I be worried about the other 3 & when do I plant out.
    Thanks

I planted my first crowns last year, so am no expert.
    As I understand it they hate to have their roots disturbed, you may have trouble when you put them into position, they are fine to be left wrapped in hessian or similar and kept damp until they go into a lovingly prepared trench. Even weeding around them can make them grumpy.
    They do not grow leaves, just the spears - which you should not pick until the crown is three years old.
    I suggest you get them into position before they do much more growing.
    Tx

Comment

Thanks, I`ll get them in tomorrow. I know you shouldn`t pick for a couple of years so do you just let the spears die off? I thought they grew quite tall frondy leaves?

Comment

I think you just leave them to frond away, and cut back in winter - but hopefully someone else will tell us!!!
        Tx

Comment

Yes Tootles you are right let them frond away and cut back to ground level when they die back in the autumn. And yes they do grow quite tall and will need staking, which should go in place when you plant them.

Ian

Comment

gojiberry, do you mean stake my 8 inch spear? How big is it going to get?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X