Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last years onions

Hi, everyone,
    I was digging over small veg patch yesterday. We have dug out a box hedge to make more room, and I found several onions that have been overlooked. They seem to be growing again still small, will they be worth growing on? and several onions dug up last year which are still as small as onion sets can I plant them again and grow on?
    Any suggestions?
    KJ

In all probability they'll flower and go to seed or come to nothing as it's their second year of growth.

However onion flowers are very interesting to look at and bees love them.
    Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

And you can use the seeds for next year's onions. When the seeds go black and hard, plant the whole head and they will germinate into seedlings - and next spring transplant into final position.

Comment

That's good news. I have also found a few of last years onions and was wondering what to do with them.
        History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

And the seedheads are quite pretty!!!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

thats interesting thanks everyone. all for helping bees in the garden.

Comment

My mother used to plant up any leftover onions that were sprouting, then pull them once they had a few leaves, to use as spring onions. I never realised until I started growing my own that there was any other way to get spring onions
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BarleySugar View Post
                My mother used to plant up any leftover onions that were sprouting, then pull them once they had a few leaves, to use as spring onions. I never realised until I started growing my own that there was any other way to get spring onions
                I've done that with onion sets. If I have a handful left I just plant them at the end of the rows to replace any that go off. If none go off, I eat em as spring onions!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X