Courgettes in planters

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgettes in planters

Coming to the time of the year when I'm thinking of planting things but I'm puzzled about courgettes.

For the last few years I've tried to grow courgettes in 20" planters without success. Just using a bog standard compost and have tried gold rush and green bush but rarely get that many courgettes from them.. any one got any ideas for a better variety or trying something different in the pots to get a bet yield?

thanks

Herb
    My Blog is here.../

I tried growing Courgettes in pots last year (Green Bush), had a lovely plant but no courgettes! Am intrigued to know what replies you get to your question, might help me too!
    http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

They need a lot of feeding of you're going to grow them in pots. I've had decent yeields in planters and fish boxes (the ones that get washed up along the coast) but I've fed them regularly with tomato food when they were setting fruits.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have grown courgettes for the last 2 years in planters and the small black buckets from wilko and have had plenty on courgettes I kept them in the greenhouse and feed them with tomato food when I feed the tomatoes they took up alot of room last year and have deciced to have a go at planting them in the garden this year will see how they go, not sure what variety I used the last 2 years they were from wilko so nothing special.

Comment

I often grow them in the wheel barrow (2 Courgettes and a few companion plants like marigold or salad leaves etc). They don't like heavy wet soil – I use mix of leaf mulch and garden compost – they seem doing well.

Comment

Mine were rubbish in pots!
            Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

I grew 3 plants of Cavili last year in pots. We couldn't eat them all fresh, so I've plenty of veg curry and garlic courgette in the freezer. I used cut off plastic drinks bottles as water reservoirs, and fed them regularly. They did get powdery mildew by late Aug I think. For soil, a mix of multipurpose and homemade compost.
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I tried them in pots as well - I think you need to use really big deep pots and water retentive soil. Mine were big but still not really right. I think they are too greedy for pots.

All I got was lots of leaf but not enough fruit.

I'm not doing it again as it takes too much care [and they are too spiky to put in pots by a path].

This year I am growing climbing courgettes by a fence so I can tie them in, and make the most of my small garden, and some round yellow bush ones that I bought to eat last year - and found they made delicious soup. Hopefully they will be more productive.

Ann

Comment

I tried a few plants in a couple of stacks of tyres last year that we had been using as mini compost heaps - I lost all but one plant (got a little busy and the garden got neglected..! ) Got a lot of leaves and quite a few courgettes (and 1 marrow ) - unfortunately I think I didn't put quite enough compost in so it sat a little low down and the leaves covered it so effectively that the rain couldn't get in but the slugs could undetected - will be rethinking this year (may try the climbing ones)
                  Lisa

I have a new blog (life, universe and everything type stuff...) Please let me know what you think... http://stargazergirl.blogspot.com/ (Updated 18th March 2009)

"It's still good..... It's still good....." Homer J Simpson

Comment

Last year I had 10 in 25 litre ex plastic oil drums and they worked very well. They do need lots of water and even if it rains, water may not get too the roots if there are lots of leaves above the pot.

Four varieties were grown and they all performed well enough for me to do it again this year.

Comment

Plant them in almost pure muck and water, water, water all day long!

Comment

I grow them in pots and get good results. As the others have said they need a decent size pot, a good rich compost - I add some manure - plenty of feeding and watering.
                        Also Herbgardener, the last couple of summers haven't been very good, so are you sure your flowers were pollinated. You can do it by hand if you're in doubt.
                        T & M also have seeds for a self fertile courgette.
                        Last year I grew Bush Baby which were excellent in a poor summer and these Tricolour which were also very good.
                        Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

thanks for the advice folks.

the plan for this year will include lots of home made compost in the mix and far more watering!!

Have ordered some new seed from Mr F's which is supposed to be ideal for a container too! fingers crossed I'll be able to drown the neighbours with courgettes :-)
                          My Blog is here.../

Comment

I only planted two seeds last year but they both did really well in pots. Plenty of water and fed with tomato feed. Got plenty of courgettes. Will be doing the same this year.

Comment

I have not grown courgettes in pots but the last couple of summers I have grown the climbing courgette "Black Forest" which did well. Why i think it might suit a pot is that it is quite compact and grows upwards and so it is easy to water and feed. Taste good too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X