funny shaped carrots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funny shaped carrots

Hi i have for the first time grown carrots too and from the top just below the soil they look huge in circumference but when i pull the up they are about 1 inch long the they have like baby carrots growing from the main carrot which looks like a wisdom tooth gone wrong. Any ideas why this is?

sue

Originally posted by suesybabe View Post
    Hi i have for the first time grown carrots too and from the top just below the soil they look huge in circumference but when i pull the up they are about 1 inch long the they have like baby carrots growing from the main carrot which looks like a wisdom tooth gone wrong. Any ideas why this is?

sue
    Hi suesybabe

Do you know what variety of carrots they were?

The reason I ask is because I have grown some stump rooted carrots (ideal for shallow soils) and some of these have shown the symptoms you refer too.

Must admit I'm not too impressed with them and think I will go back to normal carrots next year

Stoney ground or freshly manured soil can cause normal carrots to fork as well I believe
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I agree with Snadger. Carrots make weird shapes in stoney ground, or ground which is too rich. I find they do much better grown in compost in containers.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Just too many nutrients!...less muck for next year!!! Good fun though!!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

always grew my carrots in contaiers till this year,found they never got very big .this year made raised bed about 1foot high filled it wihe all the old container compost this year i grew giants ,also keeps carrot fly off ,all straight as well good luck next time ,don,t give up

Comment

Interesting that you grow them in pots - worth considering for next year methinks! dexterdog
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi Dexterdog, carrots in compost in containers do great. I grew Early Nantes and was delighted with them. Will be growing much more next year. Do give them a try.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X