Looking to grow chillies/garlic/herbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to grow chillies/garlic/herbs

I am really keen to get started but it seems quite hard to grow decent crops. I have been lead to believe that as I am going to grow indoors that I will need expensive lighting and what not and I really don't want to spend loads the the leccy bill!

Could you guys give me some advice on growing indoors? I think I can go for garlic outside but for chillies and herbs I would love to grow inside.... if I need lighting then is there an inexpensive way to start up and keep electricity bills to a minimum?
    Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

A windowsill is fine. South facing is preferable. You can catch the light by using foil covered card placed around the plants.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Thanks, if I end up running out of space at some point, could you recommend some energy efficient lighting?

Comment

Any low energy light bulb will do.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Why are you wanting to grow indoors?
          Have you no outside space at all?
          Most herbs and chillies grow perfectly well outside ... in containers or in the ground. Basil probably does better indoors, but then it always gets greenfly.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I grow pretty much all my herbs outside, on pots, on top of an old bbq stand. Works perfectly well for me.
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I can grow outside but I thought it would be a big kinder to them if I keep them in doors as the weather isn't to good in East Anglia at the moment.

Comment

Herby,

This has been my first year growing stuff, I've had a good crop of chillies from plants grown on a sunny windowsill. The windowsill is shared with several herbs including Basil and Tarragon. My garlic went in a couple of months ago, some into a couple of raised beds I've made, some into pots and some into the ground. As of today, 48 out of the 56 cloves planted in the raised beds are showing significnt growth.

I'm sure some "herbs" require expensive lighting , but nothing I've grown has required much more than some pots, compost, sunlight & water.
                There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Oh yeah the other reason I mentioned about the lights is to give my herbs a little head start. Thanks for your help all.

Comment

I'd wait until spring and grow them outdoors.
                    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Herby View Post
                      Oh yeah the other reason I mentioned about the lights is to give my herbs a little head start. Thanks for your help all.
                      A propagator might be cheaper.
                      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Herby View Post
                        Oh yeah the other reason I mentioned about the lights is to give my herbs a little head start
                        It's just too early. It's really not worth the bother until at least January.

then, start your chillies off in a small laptop size propagator (about £12 on eBay)
                        Herbs don't need heat to get started... sow in Spring.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X