Help with selecting Figs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with selecting Figs

I'm looking to grow a fig in a pot and have been looking at varieties. The National Collection is at Reads Nursery (Reads Nursery) and i like the look of either the Panachee or Petite Negri. I'd like to get some fruit and they say that the P. Negri is a better option as it fruits earlier.

has anyone grown either of these figs, and if so what are they like? Can anyone suggest any alternatives, apart from the Brown Turkey? i just fancy growing something different. I live on the south coast so the climate is ok.

Any input would be appreciated!

That website is fantastic! So many varieties of fig - I want them all!
    I grow Brown Turkey so can't help too much, but did notice Panachee is greenhouse border or pot so it may not do well even in warmer parts of the country...I can see why you want it - those stripey fruits look amazing!

Comment

It was the fruits that caught my eye, but you're right - i don't think it will do too well here which is a real shame. Maybe in 10 years if Global Warming has its way.

I think I'll try the P. Negri.
      I just couldn't believe there were so many different varieties either. Just shows how much different stuff there is to try

Comment

All mine are too young to offer 'proper' advice but I have White Marseilles, Brunswick, Hardy Chicago and three Brown Turkeys. The BTs are fine but a bit 'conventional'. If you only have room for one or two, I think the Hardy Chicago and White Marseilles are a good bet.

I do like those stripey Panachees though...
        I was feeling part of the scenery
        I walked right out of the machinery
        My heart going boom boom boom
        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
        I've come to take you home."

Comment

Reads figs look very interesting - check out the varietal types here:

Figs 4 Fun Varietal Information
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics