Apples and plums

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apples and plums

Hello there, v new to this and grateful for any advice!

Have you any ideas as to what to do with apples and plums so that I can save them for winter. When I pick the apples, how long should they last for - what should I do to prolong their life - should I cook and freeze them, and can I freeze plums (if so how - do I de-stone them and then cook them?)

Also am I right in thinking that my strawberries will be ok for winter if I pot them out, remove some (all?) of their leaves (when, at the end of Sept?) and feed them. I have a shed but no greenhouse, would they be better off in there, or should I cover them, if so, what's best.

Many thanks in advance, great site!

Welcome to the site Molly
    freezing is probably the best idea for the fruit, although you could make some jams and jellies. There're a few recipe on the site from others.
    I cook apple and freeze it in plastic bags in small quantities, that way I can take out two or three if I want to and don't have to use bigs quantities. You can use it then for pies and crumbles and if you don't sweeten it, apple sauce. You can do the same with plums.
    You can also make them into things and then freeze, uncooked pies freeze well as do baked cakes.
    Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks Blackkitty, I'll be putting on my baking hat tonight!

Comment

Post your adress & I'll be round Molly Welcome to the Vine
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X