Garlic and shallots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic and shallots

I'm considering trying these in containers this autumn and was rather shocked at the prices of the IOW people. I'm sure they are very good but is there a cheaper and good alternative, I'm not looking for large quantities as it's in containers.

Any other suggestions to achieve success would also be welcome. (I've read that soil needs to be very fertile so lots of fertiliser in containers?)

Most of the seed catalogues sell autumn planting sets, and you should also find some at the garden centre. I think unwins do them. I'm fairly sure that any decent potting compost would be ok: I know that heavy soil is not good as that is what I have and I need to dig in grit for the garlic. It needs to be well drained so I would guess that if you use containers you would need to be careful not to over water.

I love growing shallots: they way that they divide is simply amazing!

Nicky
    Last edited by Saoirse; 29-08-2006, 10:13 PM. Reason: Typo!!
    Saoirse: Irish meaning Freedom (I think!)

Comment

garlic cheaper idea

Hope this is of help to you but i have resorted to buying garlic from a health food shop. It works out a lot cheaper!
      You need to make sure that the bulbs dont have an inhibiter on them. You know to stop them from sprouting while they are in the shop. This is not usually the case when it comes to buying from a health food shop though.

Some people suggest that this is not wise as you could bring in diseases. Personally i have never had a problem. But it happens. After this you can save a few bulbs from year to year.

The only problem with doing this is that you have no idea what the type of garlic is.

thanks

the pumpkin cuddler

It does not matter what our specific fate is as long as we face it with ultimate abandon.

Comment

As it will be the first time I grow it I'd like to grow a garlic that I know is suitable for autumn planting.

As for the shallots The Garlic Farm has eschalot grise but griselle is the one I've seen in garden centres. Yield and container suitability would be main two criteria after price.

Comment

I have only ever planted out my garlic in the autumn. I have never been disappointed with the yield.

Perhaps I am just lucky and Mother nature is very forgiving to me.
          thanks

the pumpkin cuddler

It does not matter what our specific fate is as long as we face it with ultimate abandon.

Comment

Garlic needs a cold spell to multiply the cloves, so its better to grow garlic that is overwintered. Good luck.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I plant my shallots in 6" pots at christmas & grow on in the cold greenhouse til it's OK to plant them out. If you wan to grow totally in containers I would think you'd need something like a 8" pot & you'll have to feed them regularly (twice a week at half strength)come Spring with a high nitrogen feed & then swap to a high Potash feed later on to help ripen the bulbs..
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Useful info Nick, thanks. I guess similar comments apply to the garlic.

Comment

thanks Nick - with your advice am I still OK to plant my garlic in pots now, or is it a bit early? (mind you, even though I know it arrived in the post, Ive got to find the b****y parcel!!!! that could take me a while! ) dexterdog
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Haven't had my winter planting garlic through yet. Am tempted by the IOW garlic simply because they are more unusual varieties. Will be looking to plant in the ground as soon as it arrives which hopefully won't be too long. May have to find some more space for it though. Did I see in the mag that it is good to go where legumes have just been so could be "catch cropped" prior to some overwintering/late summer stuff next year?
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X