Raised Beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised Beds

Hi folks - has anybody got any advice on which type of wood to use for raised beds? I was thinking about gravel boards - would they be OK or is there anything better?
    Thanks

Hi - I bought some untreated, rough timber from a local buildering merchant (Berry's in Leyland for all you fellow Prestonites). I used 8" tall x 1.5" wide (20cm x 4cm) boards for the sides and 2" x 2" (5cm x 5cm) wood for the posts, cut 2' (60cm) long with a pointed tip. I screwed the boards to these posts to make replacing the boards easier - I'll need to do this in the future because I am following an organic route and not using CCA treated wood.

You can see pictures and the like on my blog - follow the link in my sig and search for 'raised' and/or 'beds'.
    Head Burro
    www.wildburro.co.uk

Comment

I went around the local industrial sites and picked up old pallets. They do need more work to make them into raised beds, but you can`t grumble when it`s free. I also found a large box in an oblong shape that is like pallets nailed together, and i am going to just line it, fill it with compost and grow potatoes in it. When it comes time to dig the potatoes up i am just going to push it over! So much less work!!!!! I know i am lazy, but hay why not!

Comment

I tried first off with 1" (2.5cm) thick wood but it warped too easy. I then tried with pallet wood, but that broke when I levered my spade against it. Still, you can argue with the price
        Head Burro
        www.wildburro.co.uk

Comment

I use railway sleepers, very expensive but worth every simgle penny

Comment

Yup - my dad too. Swears by 'em.
            Head Burro
            www.wildburro.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll have a look in Berrys - unfortunately I need to make 11 beds and haven't got enough pennies for railway sleepers - will put them on my Christmas list!

Comment

From memory, Berrys had the 8" x 1.5" untreated, rough boards for about £1.50 per metre. If I find the details, I'll post more acurate prices (or try their website - just google Berrys & Leyland)
                Head Burro
                www.wildburro.co.uk

Comment

I had some used scaffolding planks delivered by a local company - just rang them up from Yellow Pages. They let me have six 14ft long boards for £10 and £5 delivery, to make two beds 14ft long by 5ft wide, and they are fab!

Comment

Railway sleepers

Anyone know where I can get these? Particularly round here - I'm on the border of Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Bucks.

Comment

try this

I took on a plot in November last year. I wanted to use raised beds. Pressure treated timber lasts up to 15 years but is usually expensive. If you have a Wickes near you, try looking through their decking boards. If there are any with slight damage to the edges or knot holes, goand see the manager and ask if he will discount them.
                      I managed to get 12ft and 8ft boards for 50p each!! (2x12ft and one 8ft sawn in half per bed) I go in every six to eight weeks and so far have managed to get enogh timber for 15 beds in three visits!

Comment

Thanks for the tip - I have got a Wickes nearby so I'll go and have a look.

Comment

Septs copy GYO

Hi martini - have you seen the article in this months GYO - page 18? dexterdog
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by martini View Post
                            Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll have a look in Berrys - unfortunately I need to make 11 beds and haven't got enough pennies for railway sleepers - will put them on my Christmas list!
                            You'll be needing some big stockungs then!!!!!! Lol
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi Snadger - I put a pillow case out every Christmas Eve but don't find much in it these days! In the old days I used to get a tangerine and half a crown (giving the age away there!)

Dexterdog - saw the article -it looks good. WE (I mean the OH) were going to double dig the whole lawn because it's clay and compacted but sense (and age!) says we'll (oops I mean he'll) only double dig the bits where the beds are going, put the wooden rectangles over them, weed suppressant on the paths with bark on top. Does this sound OK? I'm getting so desperate to sow stuff I'm eyeing up the pots on the patio at the moment. Also got to get a shed - can't get in the garage - it's full of stuff for the future veg plot! Sorry to hear about your wheelie bin - ran out to check ours but so far no chip. PS when you took up your lawn did you get trouble with wireworm? I've read in loads of places it can be a real pest in newly dug up grassland.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X