Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting asparagus plants

Hello all

I've got some young asparagus plants that I sowed in April, growing away in rootrainers. I have promised my father that I will take him some to Spain when I go next week (having established that this is actually legal!!)

The question is - what is going to be the best way to transport them? Please bear in mind that I also have to lug all my own stuff and a three year old and all her stuff all the way to the train station then on and off trains and buses and planes!! I can prepare it for travel in the late morning, and we will be arriving mid-evening, at which time it can be planted more or less immediately, so it only has to survive for about 8 or 10 hours or thereabouts.

I assume they will have to go in hand luggage? I imagine it must get too cold for them in the hold of the plane.
    Should I leave them in the pots?
    Could I decant them, and take them bare rooted, wrapped in a wet cloth inside a plastic box?
    Would it be advisable to leave the foliage on or cut some or all of it off?

Help!
    Last edited by Demeter; 29-09-2008, 07:06 PM.
    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

How tall is the foliage and is it still green or has it died off? If it is yellowing then cut it off, if green I would try to package it too. I would go with taking out of pots, wrapping in damp newspaper then plastic and a shoebox or similar for protection. If they are small enough or the foliage can be removed, a plastic sandwich container would probably do the trick. Remember to put it in your bag last and remove it first. Not sure how you will stand with hand luggage though - I guess that may depend on the airline - maybe check with them first so you don't lose your plants.

It might actually be easier to post them. I got baby oak trees through the post from TonyF in France a year ago in spring - they are growing away nicely now and took nearly a week to arrive if I remember right.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

The foliage is still green but on the turn slightly.
      Probably best to leave it on?

Have already checked flight info and hand luggage will be permissible. (Having said that, I was thinking to pack it in a plastic lunchbox and stick it the coolbag, in with the picnic so they might not spot it anyway lol)
      Last edited by Demeter; 29-09-2008, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Depending on the size, I would wrap them in clingfilm to keep them moist, then pack into empty pop/milk bottles - tough but light.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Depending on the size, I would wrap them in clingfilm to keep them moist, then pack into empty pop/milk bottles - tough but light.
          Do you mean complete with soil, or bare-rooted - well, bare-ish, I'm not going to wash the lot off! was only thinking of gently shaking out any loose compost just to keep the weight down a little.

They are currently in the deep rootrainers so the rootball isn't all that big anyway. I have some shallow plastic boxes, was thinking of laying them out several to a box, enough that they won't jiggle around but not so they are squashed!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X