brussels sprouts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brussels sprouts

im currently trying to plan next years plot. not grown sprouts before what are good to follow. can you start them off in pots then plant out
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

We planted ours in modules and then planted them out in the ground later, they have all grown well (despite the slugs, snails and caterpillars!!)

They are brassicas so as long as the crop before or after isn't a brassica, I would think that anything will do - just a case of what space comes free at the time when you want to plant out the sprouts!
    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

I always start mine in modules too, they get planted out when I lift my over-wintered onions (end of June-ish) and have done well like that for a couple of years, along with savoy cabbages, kale & PSB.

Comment

im going to try falstaff purple sprout. anyone tried this kind
        my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Yes, it's the one we grow - the kids seem to find it a little more acceptable than the green ones, not quite so bitter. It grows well too

Comment

Hi peeps!

I'm new to growing most veg. Next year will be my first time trying many different types, I only have smallish graden so will want to make use of containers as much as poss!

I did however want to try some brussels in the ground. I have a small unheated greenhouse to start off my seeds but was wondering when is thebest time of year to plant brussel seeds? ( by the way, I live at the London end of Essex!) I was also thinking along the lines of purple sprouts rather than green ones, much less boring!

Thanks in advance for any advice for a newby!
            Live like you never lived before!

Laugh Like you never laughed before!

Love like you never loved before!

One Love & Unity

http://iriejans.blogspot.com/

Comment

We've got purple ones for next year too! The little one is even threatening to eat one...

Irie Jan - this year, I sowed them in April and planted them out in about May. We haven't yet had sprouts, but there are some big plants with sprouts forming I think you can sow them later than we did and I reckon they woudl catch up as I know lots of people on here sowed later than we did.

Comment

Hi all,
                I am having a great year again with the sprouts!
                Planted the seeds in mid may in a 10 inch pot and when they are about 4 or 5 inches tall plant them out by teasing them apart
                I heel the soil in first in the bed and then use a bulb planter to create a hole, drop the little sprout into the hole up to its irst leaves , back fill with compost and then pummell the little so n so into the ground - seriousley!

I end up punching the soil around the plant to really firm it in, you will definately get the results you want. I had my first sproouts of the year last night and my other plants are forming really well.

I beleive that you must have a micro climate to do well here, so I put up some plastic hoops ( blue water pipe stuck into the ground ) and throw over some scaffold netting, available from most building sites or builders merchants, cheap, this stops the nasty little insects doing their worst and also helps to keep the crop warm in cold snaps and cool in the hot sun. Only water them for two weeks or so, to get them established and then let them fight for it. They will be stronger for the effort.
                Good luck and keep us posted
                Darren

Comment

Hi peeps!

Thanks for the advice I will def have a go at some sprouts next year! I was planing to start them off in my greenhouse to give tham a good start in life, also so that I can tell the weeds from the veg!

About 2 months ago, I planted just a few beetroot and carrot seeds some winter onions and a couple of other things straight into the ground. I could not tell what was weed and what was the seed I planted as both were growing from fresh dug ground! Out of about 4 crops I planted, it looks like only the beatroots and carrots have come up!

My garden had been overgrown with weeds of all sorts and some grass for several years! I have worked hard over the last 2-3 months to clear all the borders and have dug them quite deep and pulled up as many weeds and roots that I could get my hands on! New weeds are still sprouting so must still bee seeds in the ground. I have been pulling and digging over as many of these as I can!

I was thinking of putting down some black bin liners, or old news paper to stop the triffids ie weeds, untill I'm ready to plant things out! Can anyone tell me is this a good idea or one that is not worth bothering with?

Thanks in advance from one that has just beaten off some of the triffids in a once minni jungle of a garden!

One Love & Unity

Comment

Ive got cardboard down at the moment on the bare bits of veg bed. I did have tarpaulin down but the slugs loved it!
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Newspapers better than binbags as the paper will rot down into the soil and add organic matter. Remember to weigh them down with something!!!

Comment

Hi all,thanks peeps! I have pleanty of stones that I dug up! I can use them to keep the paper in place. I Just hope my cats don't think it's a new game for them! Tabs loves newspaper to play with. I might try some cardboard as well, mix of each not all same place, I have a few big boxes in my garrage.

Have a peacefull rest of the week! x to all Jan

One Love & Unity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...