Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will my leeks survive?

Hi All

Someone told me I could put leeks in late and so I did. The pictures attached are what I've got so far.

Will they survive what is left of our summer (!) and into winter.

Should I leave them or dig them up, feed them to the chooks and plant something else?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by russell; 29-08-2008, 03:45 PM. Reason: forgot to attach

Leave them, they should survive, they'll just be more spring onion than leek!

Comment

To be honest they look just like mine and I planted those as plugs from the Garden Centre. Im gonna leave mine and see what happens
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

They're fine, I've just sown some more and they look smaller than that.

chuck some coffee grounds round them if you can.

Comment

My late sowing of leeks looks similar.
          I'm hoping there will be time for baby leeks before close of play.
          Even if they are just pencil thick I can still chop them up and use them
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Even if they stay stick thin during winter, they will bulk up in spring. Just be sure to get them before they bolt. As soon as a few start, harvest the rest [freeze if necessary] and leave the few that have bolted to set seed.

I sow lots and lots because they are great for breaking up clay soil, and I prefer them smaller and sweeter. Already had 3 leek and potato tarts from the ones sown this spring and grown in the lottie [which I didn't get until April]. They are a year round crop so you can sow pretty much any time of year.

Comment

zazen that all sounds very comforting
              And if they break up clay soil then I know just where to put them once they get a bit bigger
              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Nothing as comforting as leek and potato soup. Love it.

Comment

Gee Whiz, they do look spindly Russel. They can only get better. I would leave them and you might be surprised at the outcome. You've nothing to loose. Let them stand into the winter and see what happens. Good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Mine look that puny too (have faith, Alice!) - I'm sure that they will sit and sulk for ages, so ignore them until the new year and I promise that all of a sudden you will be eating leeks to your heart's content.

Comment

When did you sow them?
                      Mine are between pencil size and, ahem something that's thicker than that ... I sowed them back in April I think
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Can't remember when I sowed them. One of my mistakesthis year was to just chuck stuff in the ground without writing down dates etc. when I sowed/planted.

Big lesson for next year - write down dates etc. and when things might be ready.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                          Can't remember when I sowed them. One of my mistakesthis year was to just chuck stuff in the ground without writing down dates etc. when I sowed/planted
                          I've started writing the date on the label. Trouble is, I trample all the labels into the ground, or they get buried under mulch
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Having kids doesn't help either. You turn you back for one minute and all is lost.

I've lost tomatoes and cabbages when the kids have decided to 'help' me.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              I've started writing the date on the label. Trouble is, I trample all the labels into the ground, or they get buried under mulch
                              Just use the 'What I've done today' thread as a memory jogger. That's what I do!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X