When to harvest chillies?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to harvest chillies?

I currently have a 6 inch green chilli pepper, i wanted to leave it a bit longer to go red but i have just had to bin all my tomato plants due to blight and these were next to the tomato plants, in worried that they may catch blight, so my question is, do i harvest it now and have a large green chilli or do i see what happens.....Its my first chilli, and im so proud
    Life isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.

Chillis don't get blight, leave it
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Thanks, some else had told me that they do, so i was really concerned

Comment

Chillies come from the Solanaceae Family: the tomato and potato family. PLANT CULTURES - Chilli pepper plant profile

Chillies can get blight, but it seems to be a different one: Phytophthora capsici Leonian, not Phytophthora Infestans (potato blight).

have a Google. CPC Data Sheet
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Now I've said that, we're going to get 100s of posts from people who've now got Pepper Blight, aren't we
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Everyone will be running into their gardens as we speak!!

Comment

Funnily enough, some of my jalapeno chillis are going black No they really are, I don't think its blight though, but I would like to know what it is.

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

My Thai Dragon go a chocolate colour before they turn red.

Comment

Yeah but its not the older chillis that are going black, it started with one that had an insect hole in it and some of the other (mostly smaller ones) are going black as well.
                  Funny thing is, I'm not too worried about it as it doesn't look bad iyswim, just glossy black. Not like a problem black..... I hope

Comment

Phew, I've been meaning to ask whether my "red" sweet peppers are supposed to be going black! I guess they are... how exciting it means they are on their way to being lovely and red and sweet and yummy
                    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by womble View Post
                      Yeah but its not the older chillis that are going black, it started with one that had an insect hole in it and some of the other (mostly smaller ones) are going black as well.
                      Funny thing is, I'm not too worried about it as it doesn't look bad iyswim, just glossy black. Not like a problem black..... I hope
                      This is my first attempt at any type of pepper so don't take my word for it - but there was a chilli thread on here recently where someone said the small ones do ripen more quickly. So that may be why your little ones are going black while your big ones are still green. Yes, it's a glossy healthy-looking black here as well. Sounds like that's what it's meant to be!
                      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

I saw that thread... mine are the same, some of the larger ones are still green and at the same time some of the smaller ones are turning red immediately. They all taste good though, which is the most important thing.
                        pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X