Garlic seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic seed

I hope this hasn't already been covered in previous threads, but I've had a look and can't find anything

My cat kindly dug up some of my garlic about a month ago. They had flower buds on, and as I like "pretty things" in my kitchen, I put them in a vase (the flowers that is) and left them. Today I noticed that there were loads of mini-garlic cloves on them and I wondered if anyone has ever planted these and had any success.

I've given it a go anyway, planted 120 of the little things (tried to get them the right way up! ) in individual modules and just keeping my fingers crossed now.

Any advice as to whether to leave them outside during the winter, or put them in a cold frame or similar would be most helpful
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

I think this gives all the info you need:

Garlic Bulbils - Rocambole Varieties
    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Not done this myself - but well worth a go - seeing as your new garlic-ettes will be from salvaged plant waste - ie what the cat destroyed - naughty tiddles!

My guess is that you will have to wait at least 2 years for them to develop to culinary size.

Best of luck and let us know how they progress.

Comment

Thanks ever so much for that info Geordie, it looks as if I might be on the way to getting lots of garlic in a couple of years or so.

Quark, tiddles (aka Ebony) didn't really damage the garlic bulbs, just dug them up for me. They were still a bit small but very tasty
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X