Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My french beans WERE a disater - who is this imposter?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My french beans WERE a disater - who is this imposter?

Well thats it..... after last years brilliant crop we are destined not to get hardly a bean from the 40/50 plants/seeds I sowed/planted. What I thought was a healthy plant is now actualy not a bean plant after all BUT what is it? Anybody recognise it?

Attached Files
    Tammy x x x x
    Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

It looks like a nightshade, probably black nightshade if the flowers are white, rather than deadly nightshade, which has purple flowers. Still poisonous though.
    Google Image Result for http://kaweahoaks.com/html/nightshade02x.jpg
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Barley Sugar - will go and dispose of it now!
      Tammy x x x x
      Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

On your french beans,mine failed too,not a single flower,I've binned them to make room for other ideas.

Comment

I am getting loads of flowers but they are blown off before turning to beans. Really fed up with this gardening lark this year.
          Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 16-08-2008, 06:22 PM.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

I tried the climbing french beans, and they've done quite well, but I put them up the same wigwams at the runners, alternating. They've got a bit taken over, so next year I will put them seperately. I thought they were almost finished, but they are now producing flowers again, so hopefully in their second wind. The dwarf ones were a dead loss, very few flowers and then the plants died off.
            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

My beans were a disaster too. Must have sown about 4 lots in succession a few of which germinated only to be devoured by snails/slugs. This means war! Next year things will be different.Don't know how yet, but got a whole year to work it out.
              Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

My climbers are OK but for the second year running the dwarf french beans are very poor. The plants seem to grow OK but the beans are all curled up and deformed and don't look very appetising.
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                  My climbers are OK but for the second year running the dwarf french beans are very poor. The plants seem to grow OK but the beans are all curled up and deformed and don't look very appetising.
                  Ah - I had a similar problem with my runners - possible that it's due to them getting too dry - have you been watering them? It's not rained very regularly recently.
                  ---
                  Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Comment

Well, my beans are doing great!
                    (sorry)
                    I'm having a mixed bean dinner every night, and there will be loads for drying, too. My best dwarves have been Golden Teepee & Purple Teepee.
                    My best climbers: Cosse Violette & Barlotti.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

hi have just put my next set of french bean plants in and they are flowering at the moment.
                      joanne geldard

Comment

My french beans (climbing) Cobra are doing really well. Likewise runner beans, though not cropping as well as last year when I was giving away bags of them. Tried Kinghorn Wax as dwarf beans, but not keen on them so will leave them to produce dry beans.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X