Garlic sowing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic sowing

Could someone tell me how deep i have to sow my garlic cloves and can they be grown in pots, they are just ordinary cloves from the supermarket and i would love to grow some. I tried last year but it didn't work (probably did something majorly wrong)

Any Help much apreciated.
    The Weeds are Winning...

Sleep just let me Sleep...

Hello,
    My Dad, who has annoyingly green fingers, says that you plant bulbs about as deep as they are long, ie a garlic clove is a few cms long so that is how deep you plant them. He also says to plant on the shortest day and harvest on the longest day of the year (approx) and that seems to have worked for me i got a huge crop of garlic this year. Dont know about pots but can't see why not???

Comment

I have been really successful so far on my garlic and I plant them so that the tip is just below the surface.

I loosen up the soil and just push the cloves in so that they are covered.

I don't know about in pots, mine go in raised beds during October.

They need exposure to frost to make them produce cloves instead of just a bulb. Only thing I can think of that could be a disadvantage in pots would be that the soil temperature could be a lot lower in a pot as opposed to a bed.

Just remember that from spring untill you harvest, that if there is a more than about three days without rain, that it would be best to water them or they are likely to bolt.
      I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

i grew mine in the ground and they were really successful...following tips from the Grapes above. My mum grew hers in long terracotta pots, that are about 6 inches deep - and they look great so growing in pots is fine, as long as the cloves are also planted in October like suggested!
        "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Many thanks to you all, I will use my biggest pots available which are about a goog 10" deep and about 6-7" in diameter. I will also plant in october but just wondering when will they be harvestable?
          The Weeds are Winning...

Sleep just let me Sleep...

Comment

Should be harvestable about June/July I think
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

The leaves tend to go yellow and start to fall over, which indicates that they are ready to be pulled up. They should be left on the ground for a couple of days also, to dry out a bit.
              "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Hello

I grew some in pots which I harvested this year and they did fine, haven't used them yet though. I did buy my bulbs from a garden centre, can anyone tell me, is it ok to grow from supermarket cloves or even from mine which I grew this year or is it best to grow from proper bought growing cloves ??

Thanks
                I'm new to veggies, but trying !

Comment

We always buy bulbs specifically to grow~have been told ones from supermarket are more likely to fail or produce distorted fruits.
                  the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X