Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato Day

Hi everyone!

For anyone who hasn't decided yet what variety of spuds to plant this year or simply for any fans of these tubers, have a look at this: http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/news...pic.php?id=172

Garden Organic will be giving visitors a chance to take their pick from more than 150 years of varieties during Potato Day at Ryton Organic Gardens, Warwickshire.

The only problem is that it might be a bit far for most of us to go to. But in case you happen to be around... enjoy the potato day!
    Acorn

Events around the country

These potaot days are organised by local HYDRA groups. Dates in black are confirmed, dates in green were the dates in 2005....you will need to check dates for 2006. Hope this is clear enough.

Sat/Sun 21/22 Jan 2006 Gloucestershire Dundry Nurseries, Cheltenham. 9.30am - 4.30pm. ~ 100 varieties of seed tuber by the individual tuber and 3kg bags. Signed off Junction 11, M5. Information and talks in the afternoon. Details from Chris Evans, Dundry Nurseries 01452 713124 or Gloucester Organic Gardeners' Group

Sun 22 Jan 2006 Dulwich, London at Waverley School, Homestall Rd., SE22, longer hours 10.00am - 4.00pm. ~85 varieties available. Expert ad</FONT>vice, Also incorporating a Seed Exchange (bring your spare seed and leave with something new, flowers, fruit and vegetables). Details from Lindsay Wright or visit the website

Sat/Sun 28/29 Jan 2006 HampshireTestbourne Community Centre, Micheldever Road, Whitchurch. 10am -3pm. ~ 120 varieties of seed tuber, including Sarpo, (plus ~25 organically grown) by the individual tuber and 2.5kg bags Free coloured potato for each child. Tuber sales, expert advice and children's activities. Plus onion and shallots sets, beans and other seed sales, seed swap, green manure and organic fertilisers, talks and cookery demos. Signed from the A34
    For full details press here or from Phil Cooper or 07790 492677

Sat/Sun 28/29 Jan 2006 CoventryNational Potato Day, Ryton Organic Gardens, 10am - 4.30pm. ~ 100 varieties of seed tuber by the individual tuber, cookery demos, children activities and more. HDRA members only on Saturday. More information on 024 7630 8211 Full details will eventually appear here

Sat 28 Jan 2006 ManchesterThe Manchester Museum, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 PL, 1 - 4pm. FREE. Celebrate National Potato Day by making prints and finding out 'potatotastic' facts about potatoes. All ages. More information on 0161 275 2634 www.manchester.ac.uk/museum

Sun 30 Jan 2005MiddlesboroughNature's World, Middleborough. 10am-2pm. ~25 varieties, many organic. Nature's World is signed from the A19. More details from 01740 621504 (Durham Organic Gardeners)Wed 1 - 27 Feb 2006BerkshireCharlton Park Garden Centre, Wantage. ~ 120 varieties by the individual tuber and 2.5kg bags. List of varieties Expert advice. More information on 01235 772700.

Sat 5 Feb 2005DurhamBowburn Community Centre, County Durham. 10am-4pm. ~25 varieties, many organic. Bowburn is at Junction 61 of the A1(M). More details from 01740 621504 (Durham Organic Gardeners)

Sat 5 Feb 2005LancashireFriends Meeting House, Meeting House Lane, Lancaster, 12 - 5pm. Choose from a range of 20 varieties all organic - ranging from all time favourites to the more unusual ones. Potatoes sold at cost price (usually 12p/tuber), free advice, talks on potato growing, yummie food, children's programme and much more.

Sat 4 Feb 2006ShropshireNesscliffe Village Hall, just off the A5, NW of Shrewsbury. 10am - 5pm. 40 varieties (25 organic and 10 non-organic), expert advice, children's activities and potato related refreshments. Details from Peter on 01939 260935

Sat 11 Feb 2006East AngliaStonham Barns, Stonham Aspal, Nr Stowmarket, IP14 6AT (Brown Tourist Signs) 9.30am-mid afternoon. Over 90 varieties of seed potato will be available, approx third organic, all at 10p per tuber. Entry £1.50, includes Guide to Varieties. Variety details e-mail Julian Turner 01953 498651, general enquiries e-mail Cathy Wood 01787 375153

Sat 25 Feb 2006West YorkshireShipley College, Exhibition Road, Saltaire, 11am - 3pm. Around 40 varieties, including Sárpo varieties. Details from John Dallas 01274 580119, after 6pm. Details of the 2005 event are hereSun 27 Feb 2005ManchesterHulme Community Garden, Claremont Centre, Old Birtley Street, Hulme, Manchester. Provisional date 11am – 5 pm. Details on 0161 2265565

Sun 5 Mar 2006BordersBorders College, Galashiels, 11am - 3.30pm. 100+ varieties, speakers, potato based lunches and refreshments. Onion sets, veg & flower seeds, literature and garden sundries also on sale More details from David Allan 01450 860291 or Borders Organic Gardeners
    Last edited by Geordie; 09-12-2005, 04:37 PM.
    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

2009 Potato days

A list of the dates that have been confirmed for 2009 are at www.potatoday.org where you'll find details of the one with most varieties ~140. If you press the link to Details of the UK's other Potato Days are here you'll see the rest up and down the country - all are offering at least 50 varieties which can be bought by the individual tuber

Comment

Potato day.

Just typing something here so people can see the Potato day info.
        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

The nearest to me is somerset in february anyone in devon fancy going maybe we can go together.
          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
          and ends with backache

Comment

I'm planning on going to the one at Ryton on 25th January if anyone fancies meeting up for a quick gossip
            My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

We went to the potato day last year at Ryton, prepare yourselves for a bun fight, it is like the first day of the sales with lots of people pushing and shoving to get at their favourite spuds, couldn't quite believe it!! The more senior citizens were the most aggressive!
              Best part of the whole experience though was going back to the car to find it 1 foot deep in mud because a complete numptee had got us to park in the wrong field, three hours later we were finally dug out and pulled free by a tractor but not after we were thigh deep in mud and totally frozen.
              On the plus side we did get some unusual tubers for our garden i suppose!
              Just wear your shin pads, prepeare for the bunfight and don't park in the field and you'll have a fab day!!
              When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
                We went to the potato day last year at Ryton, prepare yourselves for a bun fight, it is like the first day of the sales with lots of people pushing and shoving to get at their favourite spuds, couldn't quite believe it!! The more senior citizens were the most aggressive!
                Best part of the whole experience though was going back to the car to find it 1 foot deep in mud because a complete numptee had got us to park in the wrong field, three hours later we were finally dug out and pulled free by a tractor but not after we were thigh deep in mud and totally frozen.
                On the plus side we did get some unusual tubers for our garden i suppose!
                Just wear your shin pads, prepeare for the bunfight and don't park in the field and you'll have a fab day!!

God i know what you mean, potatoes used as weapons.

I got there 30 Min's before opening last year just so i got parked in the car park, and there was already a long queue at the doors, as it was bitterly cold i stayed in the car in the warm till opening....

But by that time the queue was snaking the entire length of the car park, so i stayed put.... i kept my eye on a lady in a bright blue hat and timed how long it was till she got to the doors after opening.....result 40 Min's.

I joined the smaller queue after she went in and had 10 min wait, it was freezing.

When i left 2 hours later parking spaces where available in the car park.

Think GO where a bit overwhelmed, enjoyed swapping my seeds though.... i have more this year.
                Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

So it's going to be packed at the cafe then??? [priorities and all that]. I'd hate to have to batter old people to get a coffee fix. lol.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X