Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to put all my leeks

Hi,
    I was just wondering if it would be ok to put leeks in where my onions have just been harvested? I've used all the new potato area and still have some leeks left over - I wasn't sure as I assume leeks and onions are the same family. Can someone help?

Please?!
    smiling is infectious....

http://www.thehudsonallotment.blogspot.com/ updated 28th May 2008

In theory No, but I used the bit I grew my onions on last year for the overwinter onions as I had no more room & they were OK.

Do you need to get them in straight away? As you could dig the ground over & give it a watering of something to discinfect the soil but you'd need to give it a week or two to let the fumes clear etc.

You used to be able to use Armillartox (I can hear the sucking in of breath now!) at a Dilution of 100:1 and what you did was :-

Drench the ground at the dilution rate using 5 litres per square metre. Apply prior to and after digging. Plant after 3 weeks.

But of course you can't do that now as it's not approved by the EEC
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

If you have a small plot as I have, I plant my leeks about 6" apart so maybe you can 'cram' a few more into the same space.
      I have a Gardening book for the Small Vegetable Plot holder and it says that there is no reason why you cant plant vegetables closer together- just harvest them slightly earlier before they outgrow their space.Just harvest the leeks inbetween (as though you were thining them) It works for me --Try it.
      By the way How did you get your Smiley/Grumpy face Icon? I am new to this posting lark and would like to try it. ---Kathie

Comment

Well there's two ways Kathie.

Learn the codes or just click the "Go Advanced" button when you are Writing the post & they are on the side
        ntg

Comment

Hi Nick, I used Armillartox to sterlize the soil but stopped using it (as you point out) the EEC have banned it along with ***** Fluid. It is still on the market though-It was also good for killing the grubs of the dreaded Vine Weevil-Silly to Ban it I wonder why? Kathie

Comment

That was a quick reply Nick! I am going to try the Smiley face now- Good isnt it? I am learning all the time and not just Gardening!! Thanks Nick Much appreciated.--Kathie

Comment

Both Armillatox & ***** are still available but the aren't allowed to advertise that they can be used for anything but a garden (Patio) cleaner as they didn't go for type approval with the EEC. The main reason was the cost (£10k sticks in my mind but I think it was more). They can still sell to the states on there former claims though as they don't seem to have the beurocracy

The daft thing is I can go to a french supermarket & buy a whole aresnal of chemicals that have been banned by the EEC but it's only us that seem to take notice!!

Luckily I downloaded the fact sheet off the Armillartox website before the ban so I can still see what I'm missing .... if you get my drift
              Last edited by nick the grief; 01-08-2006, 08:10 PM.
              ntg

Comment

Hi, Nick, Yes I know just what you mean---I do exactly the same!! Seems crazy doesnt it.? I have kept my instructions for Armillatox and ***** Fluid too!
                Kathie.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X