Fennel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fennel

Growing Florence fennel for the first time.I assume you thin them out but how far apart
    Can you replant the thinnings elsewhere?
    The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Joy Larkcom's 'bible' reckons space plants 12-14" apart. It also says when harvesting cut the bulb at least 1" above the soil level, leaving the root in the ground to resprout. The small shoots that grow can be used in salads, so I can't see why you couldn't do the same with thinnings, or transplant them and see how they grow.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I don't plant mine that far apart - they bolt so readily that I tend to harvest them at a relatively small size.

Try transplanting some, but be warned that it may make them bolt.

They are sensitive plants.

Comment

Try keeping them well watered to prevent them bolting.

Comment

I'm growing it for the first time too. So far it looks good. They're much closer than Joy Larkom's recommendation. I'm going to leave them and eat them small if I have to, or eat the thinnings. I'll be happy to get anything.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X