Planting asparagus seedlings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting asparagus seedlings

I bought 100 asparagus seeds off Ebay, and as there weren't any instructions with them, I sowed a few in a seed tray to see what happens. They germinated after about a month, and I've now got 18 mini-asparagus plants in individual cells. The question is - do I continue to keep them in individual pots, or should I put them into what will become (next year) a dedicated raised asparagus bed? If I do put them in the bed, what size should they be when I do that? I know I'll have to wait 3 years before I can eat any of it, but hopefully the wait will be worthwhile
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

this should help: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...ragus-seed.asp
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I think it would be best to get rid of the female plants (they will produce seed, and that will create plants and muck up the bed, once established). So you probably want to grow them on such that you can work out which-is-which before you put them in their final positions.
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

thanks very much for that advice and the link too. I think I'll sort out a decent sized "mini-bed" and grow them on till I can see which is which

Comment

"I'll sort out a decent sized "mini-bed" and grow them on till I can see which is which"

Sounds like a good plan to me

Comment

Good article!

Could i plant asparagus from seed now? (being mid july).

And is it possible to grow in a window type box for a while? (I've recently been weddkilling my full patch in prep for next year, and am expecting to get a load of top soil soon).

thanks,
            Neil
            Last edited by maillme; 08-07-2008, 06:54 AM.
            Onions, Beetroot, Garlice & Sweetcorn in the Garden

Comment

I bought some T&M seed yesterday, 1/2 price, and wondered the same thing (packet says to sow in mid spring). There are only 50 seeds, so no point doing half-and-half, but give the seed was 50% off I might just try it now to try to gain some time ...

Comment

I think now should be ok, after all, the female plants from this year will be producing seed. Well, that's the way my mind's going I'm going to sow some more on the kitchen window sill and see how it goes

Comment

Kristen, where did you get them?

Think ill get some, and start them in my greeenhouse - then when they get bigger, ill stick them in the garden (and hopefully my topsoil will be down by then also ) - Does the winter not kill them off?

thanks again - i love this forum! i have so many questions about everything, its fascinating me! (im completely new to gardening and this year,i have my own g/house with chilli's, tomatoes, peppers. I have onions, potatoes, garlic and lettuce outside too!). Unfortunatelly i dont live or know anyuone realyl into gardening - so this is my next best thing!!!

Neil

Comment

"Kristen, where did you get them?"

Wyevale, all [brands of] seeds were 1/2 price

They are "Martha Washington", which I now read may not be the best choice

Veg & Herb expert: Martha Washington : "Best-known US variety "Old fav in USA" Heavy cropper / long spears. Resistant to rust" - so its not all bad!!

But other varieties:

Connovers colossal : "The No 1 variety ... thick-stalked, crops early, excellent for freezing"

Cito: "French Good reputation in UK Heavy crop, unusually long spears, early. All male hybrid"

Franklim: "Most common All male hybrid in catalogues; thick spears, heavy yields. Can cut some in second year"

Lucullus: "First All male hybrid, long straight spears, heavier crop than the old favs"

Limbras: "Like Franklim All male hybrid"

Only think I don't know is if you can actually buy seed of the F1 All male hybrids - maybe the breeders are keeping that to themselves to sell only crowns.

Comment

What does F1 mean?

thanks again,
                      Neil

Comment

Two pure bred, but different, parents are cross pollinated.

The Parents are carefully selected so that the Cross has some special characteristics (disease resistance, higher yield, better flavour, whatever)

The resulting offspring are First Generation from that cross - and are termed F1

Offspring of those will be F2, and will not carry the benefit of the F1 (well, some of them might, but its not worth keeping seed from F1 varieties for that reason)

Of course ... an F1 Cross that only gives Male plants isn't going to have any offspring, unless it adopts but you know what I mean

Comment

Ahhh,

Makes sense now - i see this on some of the plants i buy, and i had wondered what it was!

thanks again,
                          Neil

Comment

I planted seed in mid July a couple of years ago and got plants that have come away fine - I missed the time frame to get crowns and thought that I'd lose nothing by sowing seed.

A few years on and this was them earlier this earlier in May 2008 (I’ll harvest next year, the 4th season) together with the young lady:

At about six foot - and boy have they thickened out since then. They reached 8 foot high, broke the frame and have become the triffids that live at the bottom of the garden!

I planted 9 in a 4 x 4 bed. Things I would do differently:

1. I've since found out that to keep you in asparagus throughout the 6 week season, bank on 10 plants per person. 20 if you really like it.

2. Block planting asparagus seems fine for the plants - but makes picking asparagus beetle / larvae a real hassle. The spread of that monster 8 foot plant was 4 foot - and when every spear does that, it becomes an impenetrable thicket.
                            Douglas

Website: www.sweetpeasalads.co.uk - starting up in 2013 (I hope!)
                            Twitter: @sweetpeasalads

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X