Potatoes for Christmas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes for Christmas?

I was just wondering if I can grow potatoes for Christmas time? My vegetable garden is generally empty over winter & I wanted to know if I can grow potatoes then? If so what kind? And when would I plant them? I currently grow them in bags for summer as the veg garden is planted with beans, peas, various squash, toms & strawberries.

Thanks for any advice!

Potatoes are tender, so no you can't grow them in the cold.

You can try and plant some in August, for a Christmas crop. See this link for more info: Potatoes planted in August for Christmas
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

There are lots of other plants you can grow in the winter, or through the winter to harvest in spring - kale is a good winter crop apparently because you can keep it in pots until the patch is clear for planting out. Lots of threads on here on crops you can grow through the winter.
      PS welcome to the vine!
      Last edited by Demeter; 15-06-2008, 08:05 PM.
      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

im saving some of my first earlies to chit and plant in bags at the end of august..then when frost is due they can go in the greenhouse till nearer xmas...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X