Mouldy Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouldy Garlic

My Garlic, planted in the Autumn, has been growing really well...until now. Last night when I got back from work I found some of the stems had turned golden brown and fallen over (I think the colour change may have been happening for a while, I just assumed it was natural), and when I dug them up I found the bulbs were covered in a slimy white mould.

I'm worried that this may be White Rot and that I have no hope of growing onions or garlic ever again. Has anyone else experienced this? got any tips on getting rid of it? My veg patch is middling (approx 6mx6m) - do you think it's worth trying in another area? As well as the remains of this batch of garlic, I've got another lot of spring planted garlic and leeks in the next door bed - should I leave or get rid? Help!

Pull or dig up the diseased plants, and burn or put in the bin. Don't compost. Your other plants (spring planted garlic and leeks) keep an eye on, they may be OK. No idea what the disease could be - could it be pests or poor drainage?

Comment

Welcome to the vine Becky. Loads of probs with rotting alliums last year. But don't panic it maybe alright and may not be white rot. Certainly not worth scraping the other crop yet. There were a few good posts on this subject...I'll have a look for you.

Comment

Have you had really wet weather recently as we have in London? Maybe they've just rotted so not necessarily a white rot problem. I think the deeper you plant the better to stop it happening again?
        http://br3garden.blogspot.com/

Comment

Certainly don't compost it but I should wash of the yuckyness and see if any is usable fresh. sometimes it is only the skin.

Comment

This was it.
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rlic_7827.html

Comment

Thanks for the replies - I didnt see any of the black spores so hopefully it's just the wet weather/warm weather causing a bit of mould. Plus I'm new to this garden which has very different soil than the last one (this one seems to be mostly clay and although we dug in lots of compost and muck over the winter it still seems very heavy) so that may also be playing a part - maybe it's time for the raised beds.
              And you're right, it is only the skin that's mouldy. I've saved the cloves from the ones I've dug up so far and they're looking pretty good, going to try cooking with them tonight. Fingers crossed!

Comment

OK - have now found the problem - pesky maggots eating my garlic. Think it's onion fly - and they've got to my spring sown lot too!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X