Problem with runner beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with runner beans

This is the first time I have grown them and I have just started hardening them off. Since they have been outside during the day some of the leaves have crisped on the edge and shrivelled up and others have small light brown patches on them. It has been a bit cold and very windy is that likely to have an effect on them?

Originally posted by borage View Post
    This is the first time I have grown them and I have just started hardening them off. Since they have been outside during the day some of the leaves have crisped on the edge and shrivelled up and others have small light brown patches on them. It has been a bit cold and very windy is that likely to have an effect on them?
    I'd say that's it!

I've read some where "Harry Dodson's kitchen garden?" that is practically impossible to ever harden off runner beans because they like it to be calm & mild all the time - I usually surround mine with 1ft glass sheets until at least mid june and even then we get the odd summer gale.

cheers,

KC
    Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

I agree - I'm afraid they are very tender, especially when young. Try and protect them from the wind, at least.

It's always better to sow later than you think. It's not too late to start again.

Comment

I'd agree. You could try surrounding them with some plastic sheeting, supported by sticks.
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

If you water them from above and the sun gets on the leaves this will cause the spots and crisping you describe. I always water my plants from the bottom and avoid splashing the leaves.

Comment

I've noticed that the two lowest leaves on mine have yellowed a bit. I had hardened them off, but I've got a horrible feeling I planted them out too early now. They'll either survive or not, but I was planning to start a few more off this weekend anyway.
            Kirsty b xx

Comment

Thanks for the replies I didn't realise how tender they were and I hadn't intended to harden them off so soon but they are now too tall to keep in the house, I only planted them 3 - 4 weeks ago. Will protect them with some sort of wind barrier and plant a few more just in case I loose these.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X