Runner Beans - yellow leaves at base

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner Beans - yellow leaves at base

We've just planted some 2-inch runner bean plants a couple of weeks ago. They have been planted directly into the ground.

They started well, and some new leaves came through.

Then after about a week we noticed that the original, base leaves looked a bit sad and yellow.

We have been watering every evening as we read that they are thirsty plants.

Does anyone have any advice? Is it normal for the base leaves to go yellow and a bit shrivelled?

Please help some very novice gardeners!

Yellow leaves = over watering probably.
    You don't need to water every night. Especially if you mulch them. I watered-in my Frenchies when I planted them out on Thursday and they've not been done again. Same with cabbages and chard.
    Look up the recent thread on watering for more advice etc. here's one: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post223672
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 11-05-2008, 04:42 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks. That was really helpful. I think the key message was not to get too hung up on nightly watering!

We used some manure when planting them and they have been fed with an organic feed a few times.

We haven't got a mulch, but will sort.

I have some 2 year old leaves that I kept in a black bin bag. If we use them on the surface will that be a good mulch?

Hope that's not too daft a question! We are very 'green' gardeners!

Take care

Comment

You appear to be killing with kindness. They really don't need much fussing. Water only when really dry, and if your soil is reasonable they shouldn't need feeding either.

Comment

Thanks rustylady

We will calm down the watering and see how they do!

Comment

Beetie, the original base leaves you are talking about are probably the seed leaves. They always turn yellow and die off in any plant once they are no longer required - ie - when the plant has roots and real leaves. You don't need to fuss over your beans. They will get on fine all by themselves.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice

Your advice makes sound sense and is very valued.

We now feel much more relaxed about them!

Cheers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X