I'm Joining the Potato Queries...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Joining the Potato Queries...

Okay, was going to ask what I now realise is a daft question and ask if the purple flowers below were actually potatos or something more poisonous (aren't potatoes similar to the nightshade family? Hence my worry...)

I now realise that potato flowers aren't always just white thanks to google images but any idea if specific pots have purple and white flowers? The link I found said their photo were of Sarpo pots....

Below are my two different potato flower that are growing in my compost bin...

Click image for larger version

Name:	06072006194.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	2387910 Click image for larger version

Name:	06072006195-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	2387911

Any ideas appriciated. If they are particular typw of pots, any idea when I need to pull them or should I just wait until the foliage and flowers die back?
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Dont pull the flowers off Shortie, wait until they die down.If they are first earlies about 13 or 14 weeks after planting, second earlies about 16 weeks and main crop about 20 to 22 weeks.
    Can't help with the type of potatoes they are from the flowers however.
    Have you not got a label or a bag from when you bought them.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

They all look like potatoes to me Shortie. And Agree with Bramble about the timings. Do you know what you planted and when ? Don't know what colour of flowers specific varieties do but my Charlotte did purple flowers and were read after 14 weeks. Eating them now and just gorgeous.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Unfortunately not.... they were a surprise growth!

Have absolutely no idea what they could have been as I tend to just buy what's cheapest in Tescos at the time or reduced, I don't go looking gor one type of potato... could be anything!
        Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Shortie if they were potatoes from Tesco's then it is unlikely that they are earlies more likely to be main crop. Tesco's here have a limited variety of potatoes so I think it might be quite easy to find out what variety they are.
          [

Comment

The purple flowers look a bit like the ones on my Maris Peer and the white ones look like those on my Nicola. Not sure if other varieties have similar flowers though.

Comment

Errr.... do the flowers when they die off, produce a seed head? Looks a bit like the starting of a tomato....?

The foliage still looks really healthy and it's got more flower buds on it...?
              Shortie

Comment

Well Shortie it will look like a tomato as they are the same family - thats why you shoulgn't grow toms on ground that has had spuds on & yes it is a seed pod so assuming you don't want to go into the production of new varieties pinch it off.
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Cheers Nick.

I'm totally paraniod about them as they're growing in my compost so was never 100% sure they were potatoes or nightshade of some form. When I saw the seed heads I was adamant they weren't potatoes!

I'll pick the pods off now. Phew!
                  Shortie

Comment

I think Nightshade is the same family as well !
                    ntg

Comment

That's my worry.

Nightshade doesn't produce tubers though does it? .... or does it? If it does, I'll have to really areful if I do find any tubers, to make sure they are potatoes!
                      Shortie

Comment

It does Shortie & it looks just like supermarket spuds

..... only joking Trust me it will be seed pods on your spuds. If you take these off don't throw them in the compost as they may germinate in there & you'll have spuds everywhere !
                        ntg

Comment

Arrggghhhhh! Tell me you're joking the last bit!! I picked them off and lobbed them in the compost bin. Oh heck
                          Shortie

Comment

Ah well you may be OK just keep your eyes out for baby spuds
                            ntg

Comment

Silly question... Do new plants grow from the top fruit of potatoes or are you having us on?!

Mmmm...
                              Saoirse: Irish meaning Freedom (I think!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X