When is the season for beetroot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is the season for beetroot?

The reason I ask is that I notice hubby has been eating the beetroot again, I keep forgetting its there. You see I am very much a summer salad person and I know its blinkered of me but beetroot go in salad and by the time we get to crop any salad stuff off the plot the beetroot in the fridge will either have been eaten or have gone mouldy. Did I get a late variety I wonder - will go and look once got breakfast done - yummy cooked one today!.

Tammy

P.S. My daughter (4) wants to say hello;

I am Hannah and I love my garden x x x x x x
    Tammy x x x x
    Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

We grow it most of the year. Try it roasted with your Sunday dinner, its superb.

Comment

Firstly, Hi Hannah. Do you grow sunflowers?

Secondly, we grow beetroot most of the year as well. Love it.

Comment

Beetroot is lovely sliced up and steamed or lightly boiled (like carrots), not just as salad
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

roasted with a knob of butter yummy
          Yo an' Bob
          Walk lightly on the earth
          take only what you need
          give all you can
          and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

I only grow couple of beet root around spring and/or fall ,they can be grown year round BUT I don't have much space for them, they are sharing space with carrots and other things in their root crop raised bed...plus I don't wan't to eat them year round . Get some seeds and sow some now and greetings to Hanna .
            I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Forgot to say, I put it into my Blood Red Goth Soup; with any veg that are going...lovely.

Comment

Hi Andrea

I will be growing sunflowers. At the moment I have purple and orange pansies, yellow daisies and yellow lillies. I also have 3 fairies.

Hannah

x x x x x x x x x x x x
                Tammy x x x x
                Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

eat it on it's own after cooking and cooling,in a slice of bread with onion and pepper,mmmm.

What's the latest time to sow the seeds,as in previous times a june sowing will not amount to much worth the bother,have just been sowing enough,they then sit in the ground all winter.
                  sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by Finedon.Dandy View Post
                    Hi Andrea

I will be growing sunflowers. At the moment I have purple and orange pansies, yellow daisies and yellow lillies. I also have 3 fairies.

Hannah

x x x x x x x x x x x x
                    3 fairies; you lucky thing. I will have to keep that a secret as my Niece would love to grow fairies but I tell her that her garden is too hilly for them as they live on a mountain.

Our little girl will be sowing her sunflowers this afternoon. She will have red ones and mystery ones from birdseed. Hay Wayne on here is having a sunflower competition to grow the biggest from birdseed; perhaps you could join in?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      Forgot to say, I put it into my Blood Red Goth Soup; with any veg that are going...lovely.
                      Hi Zazen, what's the Blood Red Goth Soup like? Beetroot is top ingredient of Russian "borsh", which is the one of the best comfort food!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X