Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Hi

I have some purple sprouting broccoli seeds but have never grown any before. So, have come on here to ask some questions which I know someone will have the answers.

1. Can these be grown in containers?
    2. If so, what is the best size to use?
    3. Finally, how many plants do you suggest I sow? We are a family of 4.

Thank you.
    CADS

In theory they can be grown in containers the same as any other brassica could be. They are normally planted about 2ft apart so you need to be looking at an 18inch container. Because of the height your main problem is likely to be wind rock as it will be difficult to stake and stablise them in a pot. Worth a try though.

Ian

Comment

In the garden they grow absolutely huge, about a 3 foot span and 4 foot high!

You may have problems with them toppling over if they are in a pot. For a family of four, about half a dozen should suffice I would guess?

A veritable forest of PSB on the patio..........now that would be a site to behold!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger, can you tell me how long it takes to grow PSB from seed as i have just ordered some seeds and want to grow over the winter, seeing as everyone raves about it, i dont like the green stuff, but the kids do !

cheers SS

Comment

Gosh, didn't realise they got soo BIG!! Definitely can't have half a dozen growing in pots or anywhere else, won't be able to move in the garden as it's only 36sqm.

Think I will try to grow one, for my son (he loves broccoli). Do you think it would be ok in my 1sqm raised bed?

I think it doesn't need to be planted out till August/Sept, is that right? By which stage my bed should be almost empty. Does anyone see any problems with plan B.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Snadger, this is my first time growing PSB. They have germinated well. I know they get big. I'm growing in 4 beds - 4' x 18' each. So although I'm not strapped for space, it's not unlimited. My question is
            How quickly do they get big
            Could I keep them in pots til my peas and beans are over and put them in that space.
            Or where else would be a good space.
            Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I germinate mine in a tray in the pollytunel and they germinate in 10 to14 days.Then I pot them into 4inch pots, 1 seeddling to a pot, let them grow to about 3-4 inches tall,harden them off for a few days before planting out. As Snadger says they grow big, andit will be about a year before you can take a crop from them. A good tip is to cover them with fleece or netting in the winter through spring as pigeons love them.

Comment

How long does it take them to get big Kfbtizzy. What I'm asking is - how much space in my beds do I have to give them when I plant. Or can I plant them in a small space and let them grow into a space when another crop has been removed.

Comment

Last year I kept mine in a big pot until everything else was finished(,autumn0 then put them in the ground.They take forever to grow but are worth it.
                  Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Last year I sowed mine on 1st July and planted it out when the potatoes came out. The plants are at best only about 12-18" high and just getting "sprouty" - but I think I have soil/pest issues as of the 9 I planted out only 4 are healthy looking. One died and 4 are tiny.
                    You are a child of the universe,
                    no less than the trees and the stars;
                    you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Alice,
                      They realy need about 2 to3 feet between plants and they grow fairly quickly all summer. I plant mine first and then let things grow round about them I would'nt grow them in a small space as they would become leggy, top heavy, and fall over, espcially when fat pigeons land on them!

Comment

Thanks everybody. I'll just have to see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by CADS View Post
                          Think I will try to grow one, for my son (he loves broccoli).
                          Hmmm. Does he like the green stuff from Tesco (calabrese) or does he like the proper purple sprouting stuff (crops Feb-Apr) ?
                          Don't go growing the wrong kind now.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X