Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roma Plum Tomatoes

Hi everyone

I have just been given some Roma tomato seeds and the packet says to sow indoors March and April. Do you think it would be to late to sow them now?

So, these will need to be plants out in containers as garden is tiny and grass area doesn't get much sun. Do I need to pinch out the sideshoots?

Finally, how big do they grow? The packet says to pinch grow tip when there are 6 trusses.

Any other advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
    CADS

Bump for the night crew

Comment

They will grow as high as you like; they are indeterminate which means the height isn't determined; so pinch them out when high enough and when there are enough toms on them for you.
      Yes, sowing now will be fine.
      So is pinching out the sideshoots [refer to indeterminate which means the side shoots also need pinching out].

I'd grow them in the sunniest spot you can, pot them into growbag compost and keep them fed and watered.

Comment

I grow Roma and find them very late in maturing. Thats possibly why they need to be started early? They make excellent sun dried tomatoes (I do mine on low heat in an oven with the door left open!) because they are fleshy and don't have a lot of seeds in them! They are a bit haphazzard in growth and it's quite hard to get them to grow vertically!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I tend to agree with Snadger in that it's a little late to be be sowing these seeds now near as dammit early May, but hey, experiencing things for yourself is a worthwhile experience in my opinion where veg-growing is concerned, just to see how it turns out in your first year. And that's how you learn. Especially when you make your own mistakes?! because we all have to sometime!

There are still bush-type Plum Tomato PLANTLETS for sale in Garden Centres right now. I'd be seriously tempted to buy one, or however many, and grow THEM on this year to see how you do with them, and then grow your own ROMA bush ones next year, once you are more familiar with their growth habit for next year a lot earlier?
          Just a suggestion.... and good luck!
          X
          Last edited by wellie; 29-04-2008, 10:49 PM. Reason: missed out an R along the way!

Comment

Thank you, folks. Will wait until next year and see if I can find any at the garden centre. To be honest, I don't think I will have enough room for the plants I have already.
            CADS

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X