mulching strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mulching strawberries

I normally put straw around my strawberries early May. Have found it doesn`t really keep the weeds down & is messy. Any suggestions of other mulch to use?

I've put weed fabric over mine; with loads of spiky sticks around each strawb to keep the slugs at bay.

Look pretty ok; and the slugs seem to be keeping away so far.

Comment

For several years I've use the ordinary fleece I use to cover crops against frost. When it gets a bit tatty I cut it into bits to go around the strawbs. It lets the rain in and keep the slugs off and the weeds down. At the end of the season I throw it away.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

A couple of handfuls of potting compost and a sprinkling of chicken pellets around each plant, then weed control fabric to cover the whole bed with holes cut through so the plants poke through. Stops weeds and will keep your fruit nice and clean as well. You can also put a few slug pellets under the fabric if you are into using them.

Ian

Comment

I might just try the fleece option as I`ve got some tatty stuff left over from last year.
          Thanks1

Comment

Shreaded paper works well in keeping the fruit clean and the slugs dont seem to like it either. Dont use glossy stuff

Comment

If you use shredded paper, water it well when you put it down, so that it mats together and doesn't blow around the plot.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Would old net curtains work too?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X