Holidays

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holidays

In Surrey (Sutton & East Surrey Water Co) we have a drought order. We are off on our hols for 2 weeks from the end of July and this year I reallly don't want everything to be dead when I get home. I have loads of stuff in the greenhouse but unfortunately my neighbours are away for the same period. Can any body suggest an effective watering system not using the mains ??
    Last edited by toffeeman; 28-06-2006, 10:52 PM.

Toffeeman - have a look at TwoWests website - they have a variety of systems that might suit you.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello Toffeeman, could you cultivate new neighbours Would be the easiest way

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I get those two litre water bottles and cut the tops off and sink them into the ground next to my plants and then water and feed the plants/veg by filling the bottles up. maybe you could do this before you go away and water them directly to the roots and maybe add a lot of mulch to stop the water evaporating. Maybe put black plastic sheeting or newspapers down to cover the ground...mind you this might heat the ground up too much. I really feel for you as I would hate to go away and come back to find all my hard work in a state of dehydration. We're lucky ot have some friends who always want to come and live in our house and look after the garden when we go away so we never have to worry about it.

Is there anyone on the Vine who lives nearby you who could pop round a few times to water things?

Comment

Was wondering the same Esky.... I know if I lived nearer I'd certainly offer my services....

Any other grapes local local to surrey? I'm sure the favour will be returned...?
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

a friend of mine is going away on monday for 10 days and then 5 weeks in august/september and ive got the keys to the allotment. obviously the perks are that i get to pick the brains of all the old geezers there and eat what i want so its not so bad. i leave my mum in charge of my stuff but she does tend to kill some of it

Comment

I was walking through Dalgety Bay today on my way home and noticed a guy placing full bottles of water around some of his plants. I couldn't help myself and had to ask what he was doing. He said it's a 'slow watering process' he's devisedk, in that he fills the bottles with water and puts a few tiny holes in one side and leaves them around his plants and the water drains out slowly.

I thought I'd mention it as you might want to try it. I would've thought the water would drain quite quickly...but this guy swears by it in summer - saves him from have to water with a hosepipe all the time apparently.

Comment

One small hole in the cap from a 2ltr bottle will allow the water to drip out slowly. If you place a second hole in the cap or at the top of the bottle the water will run out quite fast. Its like the old way we used to get ideal milk out of a tin. One hole in the lid or rim and little milk comes out. Two holes on opposite sides of the rim of the can and milk will pour out.

Comment

I think it might work - I'm going to try it!

Comment

I've aquired some 5 gallon plastic containers that had distilled water in to do exactly this. HDRA sell drippa taps so you can regulate the flow a bit.

You could always buy a cheap black plastic dustbin (around £8 from oiur loacl farmsupplies shop) & install this with a tap & some leaky hose on it I think they hold around 40 gallons so that should last a while withthe lid on & you can always put some feed in the water at about 1/2 strength or a bit less & feed them at the same time.
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

Nick, that is a fantastic idea. the dustbin that is. if you put it up on bricks then it would work even better.

Comment

I have my moments Jax Must have been tired though as the speeling is atroshuss
                        ntg
                        Never be afraid to try something new.
                        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                        ==================================================

Comment

many thanks for the wisdom/advice

Comment

hi i water my poly tunnel by haveing two water butts about four feet of the ground and use a soaker hose .you can control the flow by the tap in the bottom of water butt,and as some one else said you put feed in there as well.happy gardening

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X