Leggy Runner Beans!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leggy Runner Beans!

Started off runner beans in pots, was just itching to get going, think I may have made mistake though ...seedlings are really leggy! Can they be pinched out? Only have 8 seedlings and loads more seed - best to just put them in the ground and compost the seedlings?? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks, Dee
    "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

How leggy is leggyt? And where are they (indoors, cold frame or greenhouse). They need lots of light and not too much warmth. Don't pinch them out, as the growing tip is the bit that winds it's way round the cane or net support.

Comment

I think you're probably a bit early for runner beans, especially as far north as you are. I won't be planting mine until near the end of the month so that I can plant them out before they get too tall without the risk of frost. I've tried earlier ones in the past but got fed up with running out with fleece so now don't bother - you'll get loads of them if you get a good year and can really appreciate them later in the year.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

they are indoors, and therefore probably too hot for them! think I'll wait, as suggested! thanks for the advice
        "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Runners can't be planted out until after your last frost. (Frenchies too).
          Work backwards from that date - allow 2 weeks for hardening off - sow your seed in pots indoors 3 weeks or so before that.
          My last frost is mid-May (ish), so I will be sowing mine in the next fortnight or so.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks TS - I knew I was early! too eager!!!

Comment

My runner beans obviously got a little too warm on the windowsill and are rather leggy (worst one is about 9inches between pot and leaves). I'm going to sow some more but hate waste - can you plant them deep like tomatoes or will the stems rot?
              I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Comment

Oh dear, I've done exactly the same thing. Planted in pots indoors too darn early!! They shot up like triffids!! So I have a choice then really as I see it. Either sow some more, or plant these out and take a chance on them not getting frosted. What do you reckon?

Comment

Or both??? As a newbie gardener I am in exactly the same boat...

Comment

Originally posted by dougie_d View Post
                    sow some more, or plant these out ? What do you reckon?
                    Both.
                    1) Harden off what you've got and plant out after your last frost (they will either grow or die, 2 choices)
                    2) Sow some more as a back-up.
                    3) Listen to people who tell you "too early"
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We've all done it dougie the sevret is not to do it twice!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X