sweet cherries in the midlands??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet cherries in the midlands??

I may be getting carried away here but can sweet cherries be sucessfully grown in the Midlands? I have read some posts elsewhere but these all seem to be based in nice bits down south that are slightly warmer than here. I wanted either to grow one on the lottie or if need be grow one in a container maybe on my patio. I will keep searching but if anyone has first hand knowledge this would be great!

I have a lovely cherry tree about 7' big in the courtyard garden (sounds posh, don't it?!) which I am going to have to net this year if I don't want the damn blackbirds to scoff all the cherries before I get a chance to.

Comment

thats encouraging as your only down the road from me. is it in the garden or in a container? it it in a shetltered spot do you know?

Comment

Good luck netting the tree Hazel - I netted mine last year - the bleedin' jays carefully un-netted it and had a feast!
        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Originally posted by mrs baggins View Post
          thats encouraging as your only down the road from me. is it in the garden or in a container? it it in a shetltered spot do you know?
          Planted out - and the garden is north facing, Mrs B.

We don't get jays in the garden, Terry - but I suspect that the novelty of seeing them would soon wear off if they were joining in eating the cherries!
          Attached Files

Comment

From a 'set' of several hundred across two trees I think we got 6 cherries last year - peeved does not do it justice!
            The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

One of my colleages brought in bags of sweet cherries from the huge tree he has in his garden in Liverpool. Don't know the variety but they were lovely so you should definitely be able to grow in the Midlands.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X