Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my parsnips...

..have germinated!

ok, so it's been 3 weeks on damp paper in the airing cupboard, and it's only 2 of them, but it's the first parsnip sucess I've ever had!

Congratulations!

Only 2? Would suggest that you get another packet of seed and try again. Mine grew roots in a week! Last years seed and germination about 80%.

Sorry to boast
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

It's been just over a week since I sowed my 'trial parsnips' in the heated propagator and still no signs of germination. I had estimated 1 week in a heated propagator so it looks like I'll have to bring forward my final sowing by 2 weeks or so.

My first sowing of parsnips on window sill took over 3 weeks to germinate but even then I'm not sure if they're parsnips, getting awfully confused here. Can anyone tell me if parsnips seedlings look like parsley or coriander?
      Food for Free

Comment

Hi
        As parsley and coriander are linked somewhat to carrots, and thus parsnips - I would say yes!

I have only ever managed to germinate snoops in a plastic bag, on kitchen roll, on the windowsill. I'm sticking to that method for the time being!

Comment

right let me get this right , do you have to sow parsnips first before planting or can they go straight in the ground ?
          http://newplot.blogspot.com/

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            Hi
            As parsley and coriander are linked somewhat to carrots, and thus parsnips - I would say yes!

I have only ever managed to germinate snoops in a plastic bag, on kitchen roll, on the windowsill. I'm sticking to that method for the time being!
            Thanks for the clarification. When they took so long to germinate I assumed the seedlings were peppers (looks similar) from disposed seeds, then they started looking like parsley/coriander . I think I'd like to try your kitchen roll method too.

Originally posted by roadkill View Post
            right let me get this right , do you have to sow parsnips first before planting or can they go straight in the ground ?
            You can do both but germination can be so erratic (upto 3 weeks), some people prefer to sow them indoors first, more so for a better level of control as anything can happen in the ground, light seeds blown away or they get mixed up with other weeds/plants or slugs eating them away. Feel free to check out parsnips growing guide from the site below.

How to grow parsnips with pictures and advice
            Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X