Italian Kale -

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian Kale -

Cavalo Nero - or whatever it's called! That declious dark Italian Kale...

I bought some plants last autumn and they didn't seem to grow much past 10-12 inches, and I've only been able to pick a few larger leaves, now they are sprouting flowers from all sides, up and down the stem... has anyone any experience with this veg?

I am wondering whether they have all bolted and are now useless for anything other than composting, or whether the little flowers and stems can be eaten somewhat like Purple Sprouting Broc?

btw.. hello to one and all, this being my first post after mucho lurking. I am receiving an invitation to place a post on the "introduction" thread but as yet I've been unable to find it! Fwiw, I am an in my third year of allotmenteering and so far have acquired another allotment each year - feeding 3 families, 10 people so not as greedy as it sounds!

I hope someone can help with Cavalo advice as I hate to see anything go to waste but would hate to pick a bagful for the elderly relatives only to have them eat it and be bathroom bound for a day!
    sljh

Hi SLJH!!!
    Sorry I can't help but I was also wondering if I can eat the flower buds too, so I shall be keeping my eyes on this one!
    I suppose if you are feeding all those people you could pick someone to 'test' it on....?
    Vicky

Comment

I don't know about Italian Kale, specifically, but i do know the flowers can be eaten. Hedgewizard's Diary: Of Unexpected Edibility has a suggestion for them, as a side dish, + a picture of them: I'm waiting for the ones on my "Jersey walking stick" variety of kale to get a bit bigger before harvesting.

HTH

keth
      xx

Comment

Brilliant - I've got 5 big plants of the Cavalero Nero and its been lovely all winter - so glad I don't have to compost them yet (very little left fresh in the garden apart from 2 types of kale and some cabbagy bits)
        Cheers

T-lady

Comment

ive never grown this, but it is delicious
          All Recipes.com | Chocolate Gifts

Comment

Funny this thread should crop up! I've just enjoyed a huge plate of Tuscan kale florets and shoots! I steamed it quite quickly, added butter and pepper and grated a bit of strong cheese over the top. Delicious!!!!!!

The beauty of it is that if you keep picking the spears more will keep coming and you can prolong the season.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I had almost the last of my Cavalo Nero today: a couple of leaves and flower shoots ... it wasn't a great crop this year. They'll be compost next week I reckon.

I was going to have some of my Rusty lettuce too, but they were covered in big fat greenflies. Yuk.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X