Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Jerusalem artichokes?

Afternoon all,

Mad dash as traffic was nuts so was dreadfully late back to work after a lunchtime foray into the garden shop in town (don't often get the chance, but there's lots of Scots over for the weekend - so them walking everywhere on a windy afternoon meant traffic was crawling gggrrrrr).

Anyway, while I managed to get my second early spuds, red onion sets, (a few more packets of seeds :blush and some rhubarb (crowns?) - I also spotted and picked up a packet of JA tubers (?).

I have heard people raving about these here, and OH has been muttering about trying them out, so I bought the pack. Now what do I do with them? Do I just stick them in any old ground (and when)? Do they need manure? How long before harvesting? Should I stick them somewhere that I don't care cos they will come on every year, or are they a moveable feast?

A bit of a case of buy now, think later, but any help appreciated thanks. And I'll get it all on Monday when I am back again (dashing off now to collect toddler and pack her off to grandparents for the weekend so that I can write ooodles!! Please let it rain all weekend and not tempt me!!! )

Have a good one all.

Hi Winged One

Hope the weekend went well!

With Jerusalem Artichokes I plant them about 3 inches deep and 10 inches apart in rows about 2 1/2' apart. Plant in Spring. I use wood ash from the stove for fertilising the soil.

Be really careful to dig up every last bit of them when you harvest else they will regrow from the tiniest bit (can be a bit invasive) - harvest them over winter - cover with straw if you think the soil is really likely to freeze and .... watch out for the wind. Eating JA's has certain side effects that I don't really want to go into!
    Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Originally posted by T-lady View Post
      Hi Winged One

Hope the weekend went well!

With Jerusalem Artichokes I plant them about 3 inches deep and 10 inches apart in rows about 2 1/2' apart. Plant in Spring. I use wood ash from the stove for fertilising the soil.

Be really careful to dig up every last bit of them when you harvest else they will regrow from the tiniest bit (can be a bit invasive) - harvest them over winter - cover with straw if you think the soil is really likely to freeze and .... watch out for the wind. Eating JA's has certain side effects that I don't really want to go into!
      You won't be the Winged one...

You will be the Windy one...

Geo..

Comment

I found that once planted they were very prolific, and harder than spuds to clear from the ground. Problem was we didn't like them! Flowers were like small sunflowers if I remember rightly.
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

personally i like them but am the only one in the family. they make great soup and of course the associated wind...
          they do grow absolutely massive so you might want to take into consideration where you plant because of the shade they cause, but on the positive side a good wind break! (excuse the pun)

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
            You won't be the Winged one...

You will be the Windy one...

Geo..
            I got a few odd looks there.. that made me laugh out loud!
            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I've just dug mine out of the big box that I built especially to contain the JAs. J has decided that she doesn't like them, so that's it, not growing them for just me.

But I need a screen in front of some compost boxes so they're going in there with some supports and I'll use them like a small sunflower screen and that way, if I want to make some JA soup in the winter, I'll know where they are.
              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

i just planted mine in a 2metre square of the plot that i did not need about a foot apart. they grew lovlely last year but i cooked them wrong but not to worry as they will just keep growing so if you dont have a lot of time they are a good veg to grow

Comment

I only re-plant 4 each year - same spot as I got sick of trying to clear the volunteers each time - and I get more than enough. Mr F can't tolerate them at all. I LERVE them but you can only eat so many! Make sure they don't shade other crops. They will grow 10 ft high in a good year.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi, are they evergreen? die back totally or leave stems?
                    i have a wire, fencing off a heap of junk and want something to cover it, i thought maybe sweetpeas, jasmine, honeysuckle, camellia, but would like something to hide it forever or at least til it rots down.

Comment

not sure as i pulled mine in november but they looked prity dead to me

Comment

They are now a bunch of dead looking tall sticks but the tubers are beneath the ground. You dig them up to eat and then save a few to plant for next year. Mine are still going strong but in a few weeks I'll have to lift what's left or they'll start to grow again. They keep their leaves till quite late in the season but they're certainly not evergreens.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I bunged mine into the ground 3 yrs ago and dig up a few when needed, i have never fertilised or given them any attention whatsoever, so far so good they are lovely roasted like potatoes or cut them up really small and pan fry them in butter. They can only be eaten with family or VERY close friends and, like garlic everyone needs to eat them at the same time

Comment

Thank you all. I had meant to add that I had done a search and only found recipes rather than growing advice.

I was good and resisted the temptation of good weather at the weekend, but I DID sow some lettuces, tomatoes, brocolli and another courgette at home. And did a bit of writing too!!

I will put them in an area at the front of the plot that shouldn't get too nuch disturbance I think, and just let them romp away. We are planning another family day there on next Saturday, weather behaving and all that. So I'll put the JA's, rhubarb and the berry bushes in (and hope OH isn't looking too close when we pack the car).

Windy one could be right - we can't overdo the onions in this house when we have visitors, and I only rarely eat beans, but it could be worth it judging by some of the reactions. And if not - well, I'll have tried something new!!

Comment

'Fartichokes' as we both term them are gorgeous, especially delish when cooked as chips (a sweet nutty flavour that comes out when deep fried), when roasted (parboil first) or made into soup, but the after effects are definitely a cause for hilarity hereabouts! Mr D loves them, as do I, but the 'wind' can be a problem, although I'm told if you eat them little and often, then the body gets used to them and the wind problem becomes a bit less, not that we've noticed here tho!
                              Blessings
                              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X