Which Beetroot should I buy?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Beetroot should I buy?

I'm about to order from Alan Romans but confused and indecisive on which one to order from 3 choice of variety. These are:

Boltardy - does not bolt
    This variety's resistance to bolting makes it invaluable for early sowing. It has deep ruby red flesh and a sweet fresh flavour.

Woodan F1 - does not go woody
    This RHS award winner produces good sized, round, bright red, high quality roots which do not go woody. They have a wonderful flavour and can be used either as baby beets or larger roots. They are ideal for pickling.

Cheltenham Greentop - is a heirloom
    'Greentop' is a much sought-after heritage variety first introduced in 1905. It has deep purple, fine grained, tapering roots with broad shoulders and strong tops. Sweeter and more flavoursome than many modern varieties, 'Greentop' stores exceptionally well and has some resistance to drought.
    Food for Free

I always grow boltardy as they are consistantly reliable.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

I’ve just planted some Boltardy seeds this morning in jiffy pots, keeping them in greenhouse till ready to plant them on in to beds
      Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

It's got to be boltardy definately the most reliable
        is spacetime curved or was einstien round the bend

Comment

Hi I would grow Boltardy, but I would also recommend Choggia Barbietola- this is an Italian variety, which I had success with last year, it has good flavour and the root is a mix of red and white concentric circles. Barbietola is best eaten fresh though rather than pickled, as being much paler the pickled beetroot does not look as good as its deep red cousins.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like the vote is on 'Boltardy' as the most reliable.
            Food for Free

Comment

I always grow 'Boltardy' for its reliability, plus 'Bull's Blood' for flavour, and maybe one or two others I haven't tried before!
              Resistance is fertile

Comment

boltary for me last year, but i'm going to try some other ones as well this year for variety and cause i LOVE beetroot
                The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Why not try them all. I'm sure you wont have any problems eating them
                  "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X