Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fallgold raspberries

Hi,

Last spring I bought a Fallgold Raspberry cane from Focus DIY and planted along with my other newly bought raspberry varieties. To start with I assumed it was a summer fruiting variety but now I have read somewhere that it fruits in the autumn (hence the name "Fall" I guess!) so therefore must be an autumn variety. Is this true?

I am a little unsure because last summer the cane did grow pretty well, upto about 4 foot in height but it did not produce any fruit at all, though looks nice and healthy. My autumn bliss canes grew to a similar height and did produce fruit. Both were planted at the same time, though the Bliss's were more established with much bigger roots. The Bliss were field grown where as the Fallgold was in a 2 litre pot I think.

If it definitely is an autumn variety then I will cut it down to a few inches above the soil as you should for autumn varities.

Thanks for any tips!
    Last edited by Habanero; 05-02-2008, 06:27 PM. Reason: typos

I hope it's not bad news but it is Autumn variety I'm afraid which makes it a Primocane type too. I think they go by the name of 'Allgold' too. I too have just acquired Fallgold and Autumn Bliss but I also have a golden version of summer fruiting raspberry called 'Golden Everest'.
    Food for Free

Comment

Yes it's definitely an Autumn variety. We grow lots of Autumn Bliss, but are about to plant half a dozen canes of Fall Gold (if the ground is ever workable again) because I've heard they make great wine.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

It is an autumn variety but are you sure that growing raspberries in pots is a good idea ?

Comment

Originally posted by southlondongardener View Post
          It is an autumn variety but are you sure that growing raspberries in pots is a good idea ?
          I've just got hold of mine but been told it's better to leave the canes in pots to enable them to develop good, study and bigger root balls which must be good for better/prolific fruit production . Time is an investment when getting a fruit bush so I'm trying to be realistic with my patience .
          Food for Free

Comment

Thanks for all your replies :-)

No, none are in pots (sorry for any confusion) as I planted them all last year, about march some time. I have a mixture of autumn bliss, autumn heritage, 1 fallgold and various summer ones in a 12-15 foot row.

i wonder why my fallgold did not fruit last year? May be it needed to settle in to its new home in the ground before fruiting. I guess I should cut it right back and just hope it will grow and fruit this autumn. :-)

One thing I have observed is that all 3 of my autumn varities have thick and spiny canes, unlike the summer varities. May be this is a trait of autumn raspberries so can help with identification.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X