Chinese Gooseberry (Mini Kiwi)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Gooseberry (Mini Kiwi)

Anyone grown this? I got a teeny-weeny bush (4-5 inches) from Woolies but think I'm in for a very long ride before a decent harvest . Since they're so small, I gather I can get away with growing in a pot to begin with and transplant as they get bigger over the years. Do they have any particular soil requirements (e.g. acidic)? How fast do they grow only if contrainer growing is inappropriate?
    Food for Free

They can be kept in pots for their first 2 or 3 years ( but the pot has to be at least 10 litres or so). They need alkalis soil ( lime it if need be) plus fertile. Have you check out if they need cross pollinations ? some hardy/mini kiwi need at least 2 plant for fruit production but the Issai don't need.
    What colour are your hardy/mini kiwi Veg ?

Momol
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Originally posted by momol View Post
      They can be kept in pots for their first 2 or 3 years ( but the pot has to be at least 10 litres or so). They need alkalis soil ( lime it if need be) plus fertile. Have you check out if they need cross pollinations ? some hardy/mini kiwi need at least 2 plant for fruit production but the Issai don't need.
      What colour are your hardy/mini kiwi Veg ?

Momol
      Lucky me it is the Issai variety like yours (I hope)! In Latin, Actinidia Arguta Issai. In the packaging picture, the fruit looks more like Victorian Plum with bits of pinkish hue over green but has smooth skin unlike a typical hairy kiwi. Sorry the planting instructions are all there so I should be okay but I haven't decided on the final planting place in my garden. It's described as twining climber needing trellis or pergola for support but I thought yours is a bush . Have I got the wrong one?
      Last edited by veg4681; 17-01-2008, 09:54 PM.
      Food for Free

Comment

No mine is vine, they got some wire to climb up ( against a garage wall) ... you will have to give them something to climb but their first 2 years are ok with some bamboo thingy....

Momol

Comment

So they can be 2 years in a pot but no way will there be fruits, would there? until they're climbing up proper.
          Food for Free

Comment

I think they could start producing fruit in their 2nd year but perhaps not heavy...be patient... it will produce when time comes

Comment

Thanks for sorting me out...interactive online style, oh what luxury gardening helpline the Grapevine is . I'll pot up the mini kiwi tomorrow.
              Food for Free

Comment

Ok, give them nice and comfy house ( pot) they will reward you... got to go now, sleeeeepy...good night.

Momol

Comment

I got one of these from woolies also, ive planted it in one of the polystyrene tubs that come with their tomatoes would anyone know if this is big enough for now? put it on my kitchen window sill where most sun goes, im not confident it will grow much, we just dont have the climate do we??

Comment

You are joking stick it in the ground and watch it romp away. Small and dainty they aint!!! I love the leaves on them. Mine are self set in my home made compost and climb anything and everything. They are not even in the sun either so that has to say something.

Comment

HI I got three of these ACYINIDIA from Woolworths I planted one outside in the garden and two in pots in the greenhouse so far they are showing no sign of any life ie. shoots etc. six weeks have passed I have taken one out of the pot for inspection and it looks dead I would be interested to hear from others who have bought these from Woolworths how are yours doing?

Comment

I bought one of these from Lidl and stiuck it in at the allotment.

Seems a really healthy plant and is doing well. Not sure if Ill see any fruit on it though?

Comment

HI Veg 4681 has your mini kiwi started to shoot yet I got three from woolworths 6 weeks ago and mine seem dead ! regards JOHN.
                          Last edited by JOHN LOCKWOOD; 20-05-2008, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Hi John,

Sorry for my belated post, I haven't been online for sometimes.
                            My mini kiwi has been sending their shoots since early march. They should have break their dormacy by now unless it is really like what you said, dead. Is it possible to return them to the vendor ?

Comment

Hi momol yes I can take them back I have the packaging it says guaranteed to grow or your money back but I was interested to know how others that bought them from WOOLWORTHS did with theirs . Regards JOHN.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X