Asparagus again

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus again

Could I grow asparagus in pots/tubs/troughs?

I'm keen to grow some but as I'm RAF wifeybirdtype I never know when they are going to move us on
    aka
    Suzie

Nope -not really.
    You could bring them on for a couple of years but they have roots going down many feet
    You might manage one or two plants in a deep container about the size of a wheelie bin though!!
    Someone here may have actually tried it with success but it'd be a long term success.
    I did post something a couple of years back with a link showing a picture of the rootsystem of a single plant and it was huge!!! ( can't seem to find it now)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

oh darn
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Some garden centres now sell asparagus plants in large pots. You would get decent sized spears, but not very many of them. Also think of having to move the pots when you move. Asparagus is really a long term crop for permanent planting in the ground (apparently the plants can crop for 20 years or more when established).

Comment

This isnt actually a reply its a new question...i planted three asparagus crowns or whatever they are called earlier this year and unfortunately due to a number of things (laziness, stupidity, ineptitude.....) i am now not certain exactly where they are ...i know vaguely but the label sticker thing has gone and the ridge is flattened.
          Should i mark up where i think they are and wait for the spring to see if the comeup?
          OR
          Should i dig where i think they are to see if i can find roots and then label them?
          OR
          just dig the whole bed and forget the whole thing???
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

I'd go for mark and wait

Phreddy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X