Frosted potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frosted potatoes

Hi all - the potatoes I planted in big tubs in early Sept have succumbed to frost over the weekend. The tops are completely done for - is there any merit in me leaving them in the ground to hopefully grow some more, or do I need to lift them all now, with fingers crossed for a bit of a crop?! They're maris peer if that makes any difference!
    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Don't think they will grow any more but you shouldn't need to dig them up now. I would have a grope and see what is in there (you might get a surprise) and either leave them as they are in a dry place or dig them all out and layer in one bucket with dry compost between - I find that keeps them like 'new' potatoes for when you want them.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Yes I don't think they'll develop a lot now.

I had two pathetic plants - stems thinner than a pencil. They barely grew, then got mildew and various other unfriendly fungi, so I pulled them out. They were about 9 weeks old.

Much to my amazement, when I tipped out the compost there were potatoes! Only a few - about 7 smallish ones - but I was really delighted considering the state of the foliage.

So, you never know...

Comment

Ditto the above they wont grow any more now, mine had it a couple of weeks ago and although it was a slightly meagre offering they were very tasty!
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Thanks folks - I'll have a grope around (or is that a furtle) at the weekend, when I have daylight and can see what I'm doing! ... Watch this space as they say ...
          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
            Thanks folks - I'll have a grope around (or is that a furtle) at the weekend, when I have daylight and can see what I'm doing! ... Watch this space as they say ...
            Happy furtling!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I quite fancy groping if it's all the same ....

Comment

I read somewhere that it is 'broggling' which I rather love the sound of.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Depends on who - err, sorry, what you're broggling or groping or furtling really!

Comment

Or fossicking!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X