Fennel question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fennel question

This may be a stupid question but is it possible to grow fennel from the bulb - like the ones you buy in a supermarket? A friend has asked and now I'm curious!!

Originally posted by fruitylala View Post
    This may be a stupid question but is it possible to grow fennel from the bulb - like the ones you buy in a supermarket? A friend has asked and now I'm curious!!
    Florence Fennel is notorious for bolting at will. It has a tap root which is cut off before being sent to the supermarket! Even if you could get it to grow it would run straight to seed! It grows easily from seed sown at the appropriate time!
    Last edited by Snadger; 07-10-2007, 09:18 AM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm sorry, but I'd like to throw a spanner in the works? Even here 'down South' May is way too early for Florence Fennel. Late August is better if you want it to grow rapidly, bulb up and not bolt. But hey, with the kind of year we've all had, who knows, eh?!

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
        I'm sorry, but I'd like to throw a spanner in the works? Even here 'down South' May is way too early for Florence Fennel. Late August is better if you want it to grow rapidly, bulb up and not bolt. But hey, with the kind of year we've all had, who knows, eh?!
        Ok wellie, point taken! I am harvesting mine now but can't remember exactly when I sowed it? Maybe May was a bit optimistic!

PS I've edited accordingly to save my embarrassment!
        Last edited by Snadger; 07-10-2007, 08:29 AM.
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

OK. Thanks for that Snadger and wellie. Will pass it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            Ok wellie, point taken! I am harvesting mine now but can't remember exactly when I sowed it? Maybe May was a bit optimistic!

PS I've edited accordingly to save my embarrassment!
            Well thankyou Snadger I sowed mine in May this year and yes they bolted grew to nearly 4' I will sow later next time
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

It is difficult to succeed but it looks pretty anyway. Different varieties are available for different times but most suggest starting after midsummer. It needs plenty of sun and plenty of water I understand.

I will persevere because I love it so much.

Comment

I've just brought two large fennel bulbs? home from lottie for OH to conjure something up with! She's got Mrs Beeton's out now.................. any good recipes from the grapes?
                Last edited by Snadger; 08-10-2007, 07:21 PM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

What did Mrs. Snadger do with the Florence Fennel bulbs in the end Snadger?

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                    What did Mrs. Snadger do with the Florence Fennel bulbs in the end Snadger?
                    Ahhh! Glad you asked that wellie! The recipe has no name but it came from the Barefoot Contessa if that makes any sense!

It was basically pork chops with a scrumptious sauce. The ingredients included:-

Olive oil
                    Fennel
                    Onion
                    Garlic
                    tomatoes
                    salt&pepper
                    White wine
                    Chicken stock
                    Butter
                    Basil
                    Parsley
                    Brandy

It had a unique flavour and texture and is definitely something Mrs Snadger will be cooking again in the future, I hope!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mmmm..... Peeps after my own heart indeed! Not one, but two alcohols in the sauce! And it sounds really really nice.

Now that we're back on the subject of Florence Fennel, when it has bolted/run to seed (which the seedlings Piggy gave me now have), obviously the bulbs are redundant because the plants are three foot tall (!) but can you still use the 'flesh' all the way up, for soup let's say, or would it be bitter-tasting even for such a purpose?

I'm using my bolted Musselburg Leeks for soup, so I got to wondering, as ya do...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X