Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remontant Strawberries

I have grown these for the first time this year and they are still fruiting

The question is when will they produce runners? Not that I am bothered this year but next year I want to propogate them so will need new plants to put out in the Autumn.

Any help out there please?
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Lucky you! Mine are good are producing lots of runner but hardly any fruit, only its first year though.

Generally if your strawberry is a perpetual/everbearing/alpine type, they're not supposed to produce runners. But then again people in the forum here have reported that their perpetual have produced runners.
    Food for Free

Comment

I'm growing "Malling Opal" an everbearer in large tubs first time this year beenfruiting like mad, good large fruit, and runners every where. even got fruit on the runners! including those hanging down from the tubs and not rooted in anything. I think they are trying to take over the world
      Last edited by Grandpadragon; 30-09-2007, 10:00 PM.
      It's not the growing old I mind but the growing stupid with it!

Comment

Thanks folks, guess I will just have to wait and see.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I have an old copy of "Home-Grown Food" by Roy Genders, published 1978 which has a piece in it refering to "Herr Hemmel's amazing remontant, Sojana,....". The recommendations given in the book are that it is a perennial that dies back in winter and therefore it should be in a perminant position. I should imagine that it could be propergated by dividing the roots during the winter months.
          I have been looking for one of these plants myself for several months now and wonder if you could tell me where you obtained your plant?
          My email is melmar17@hotmail.com
          Thanks

Comment

The two varities of remontants that I am growing, Gardenman, are Gento and Cirafine. They are not perennial they just keep on cropping. Unlike the other one I have, Suprise de Marche, which is earlier and only crops once.

The earlies are turning red now

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X