Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Asparagus

Hia,

I have raised some Asparagus from seed, because it sounded exciting and cheaper than to buy the older shoots. Now that it is getting colder, I wondered if I need to protect the little ones somehow? Like with a DIY bottle cloche or leave it as it is? But I am not that often at the allotment so with a cloche would it dry out too much?

I am a bit worried the little plants with their two/three leaves might die in the cold? - or even worse - they might survive but without leaves, and I can't remember where I planted them and throw these out whilst weeding in the spring?

How do you get your asparagus through the winter if its still a litlle half-a-year old baby one?

bye for now Ulla

Asparagus dies down in the winter Ulla. The leaves will dry up by themselves. I've not grown it from seed but normally the crowns are protected by the covering of soil. Would it be worth keeping them in pots under glass for the winter?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have grown from seed. Just don't worry and when it has all died down, cover with well rotted compost.

It is very hardy unless waterlogged.

Other than that do nowt. We get very hard frosts here and all my 16 or so grown from seed still survive and will be 2 next year and therefore edible...

Comment

Mark where they are in case you forget. Then leave them to get on with it - they're perfectly hardy. You could make a sort of raised bed round them and mulch with rotted compost, I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X