No announcement yet.

Butternut Squash Novice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allotment gal, I reckon you are picking too early.
    The skin is not sufficiently cured (hardened) and the nasties are attacking.

Over the winter and spring I usually loose a few in storage, they start out the way you describe, a small discolouration. To salvage what I can I immediatly chop out the rotten section with a sharp knife, prepare the restas for a stew, peel and chunk, then just freeze it.
    Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
    Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
    I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Thanks for that Peter! Need to go and see my mate who has three horses! dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Oww, oww, my foot.

Wel I've shot myself in the foot with my advice on this thread.

Guess what I had to do this evening?

Yupp.

One Peter and his dog went to mow an allotment path and found that two areas of their Squash patch had died and gone crispy. So while the dog got on with the mowing the Peter had to go and get a wheelbarrow for ten Crown Prince and half a dozen Vegetable Spaggetti. The rest of the patch is still lush and green and hiding the fruits from prying eyes, for the moment anyway.

There was a lovely layered mist lying over the site this morning when I went to catch my train, so I guess our frost pocket is living true to type.
        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Thank you all for the info on squashes! I have been sitting here wondering do I pick mine yet before they take over all the back garden but I now know what to do! Cheers )

Comment

Hi everyone, new to this site and it looks good. I am interested in this thread as i have 2 butternuts on my window sill ripening ( if they ever will) as they fell off the plant, well actually I managed to break the stems while I was admiring them!!! Will they ripen now they are off the plant? The remaining ones on the plants are ripening nicely.

Comment

My two butternut squash plants have loads of leaves and lots of flowers about ready to open. I take it is too late? They won't fruit now?

Is it worth keepin them in the ground? They are in the polytunnel. This happens every year, plants grow quite nicely and lots of flowers looking ready to open, but nothing happens all summer. Really annoying !!!!
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Not having either tasted or grown squashes, this thread has given me an insight into their growth.
                I know taste is an intangible thing but can anyone explain the taste and how they are cooked?
                Didn't realise they were so popular, I may have a go with them next year!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger butternut squash Avalon is lovely roasted. Really sweet and tasty. Just diced up, drizzle with olive oil, some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. About 190c till it's done.
                  [

Comment

Butternut Squash soup Mmmmmmmmmmmmm is our favourite. Chopped and lightly pan fried in a small amount of butter, add a chopped red chilli (no seeds), add water (not too much, just enough to cook), salt and pepper. Gently simmer until the squash is cooked, wizz with a wizzer, add two tablespoons of creme faiche and more hot water if it is too thick. It is quite nice also with some fried cubed pancetta dropped in the middle.

Oooh I'll have to go and buy one now!
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

put them on a tray with garlic cloves and a drizzle of oil, roast as before and liquidize, fantasic soup for winter, sweet and filling. mmmm
                      Yo an' Bob
                      Walk lightly on the earth
                      take only what you need
                      give all you can
                      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

OK I'm convinced !...Think I will add it to my seed want list.

Couple more questions tho...isn't there always? What do you reckon to be the tastiest variety, will they grow outside and what area will I need per plant?
                        Ok thats three q's but who's counting?. At a guess they will grow similar to courgettes or ridge cucumbers ie will 2 sq/m be enough space per plant?

Thanks in anticipation!
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger I gave you the answer before! The variety I grow is Avalon. It's a trailing variety and takes up a fair amount of space. Yes you grow them outdoors.
                          Last edited by Lesley Jay; 24-09-2006, 03:14 PM.
                          [

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
                            Snadger I gave you the answer before! The variety I grow is Avalon. It's a trailing variety and takes up a fair amount of space. Yes you grow them outdoors.
                            Sorry LJ I wasn't sure Avalon was the name of the squash or that you had grown it!
                            Should be easy to remember as I associate it with King Arthur!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger what do you mean - 'or that I had grown it'??? Cheeky devil !!!
                              Last edited by Lesley Jay; 24-09-2006, 05:56 PM.
                              [

Comment

Snadger, I grow Butternut Sprinter and think that's really tasty.

Watch out, they can take over all nearby floor space if you're not brutal with it though!
                                Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X