+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
- 08-01-2011, 04:39 PM #1Germinator
- Join Date
- Jan 2011
Complete Novice - Chickweed Advice
I'm a complete novice but I've just been lucky enough to be given an allotment!
It's in really good condition but covered in chickweed.
I'm currently raking it all off and I've got a MASSIVE pile of it so far with just one third of the plot cleared!
What can I do with it?
I've read that I shouldn't compost it; is this the case?
At the moment it's very wet can I dry it and burn it?
I really loathe the idea of lugging it all to the tip!
- 08-01-2011, 04:43 PM #2
Well done on the new plot, and welcome to the vine.
I'd dig it in.
The stuff you've dug out already? Can't see any reason why you shouldn't compost it.Hazel at the Hill blog - update - Sunday 26/10/2015 - And then it was Autumn!
- 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM #3
We feed ours to the chooks!
Also- it is edible- makes a lovely soup!!
Cream of Potato and Chickweed Soup Cook Local
Chickweed - Use it, Don't abuse it!
Chickweed Tomato Soup Recipe by Foreign Foods | ifood.tv
Have a play around on Google- there are loads of recipes for quiches, salads,soups.
Don't waste it just cos it's 'different'!!!!!"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple
- 08-01-2011, 08:08 PM #4
Of course it's compostable, although if it's in seed then that seed may survive the heap and reinfest your ground.
It's a bugger to get rid of, I hate it (it goes home for the guinea pigs)
- 16-01-2011, 11:36 AM #5Early Fruiter
- Join Date
- Nov 2007
- South Wales
Chickweed produces seed at a very early age which is why some people won't compost it. I have always composted mine and had no problems, just try to keep on top of the weeding. As soon as you see some start to grow get the hoe out.
- 16-01-2011, 12:01 PM #6
I pulled some up yesterday: it starts early in the year. The grass is in seed too
- By Kahriss in forum Vegging OutReplies: 24Last Post: 21-02-2011, 12:05 PM
- By Not so Green! in forum New ShootsReplies: 7Last Post: 20-06-2009, 07:11 PM
- By River Cottage in forum Vegging OutReplies: 12Last Post: 01-11-2008, 11:46 PM
- By imagen in forum Vegging OutReplies: 7Last Post: 27-07-2008, 12:15 AM
- By Flutterby in forum New ShootsReplies: 6Last Post: 22-02-2007, 08:07 PM