+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Thread: plum tree disease
- 29-08-2010, 08:36 PM #1Sprouter
- Join Date
- Feb 2008
- Portsmouth, Hants
plum tree disease
we have had a Victoria plum tree for 7 years, after a couple of years it has always been loaded with plums but the last 2 years alot of the fruit has gone mouldy as soon as it ripens. The plums go brown and rot but it doesn't have the concentric circles of rot that I have read Brown rot looks like on apple and plum trees.
Any ideas please?
- 29-08-2010, 09:07 PM #2
I would guess Silverleaf - Has it been pruned out of season? the time to prune plum trees is late June or July. If they are pruned in Autumn or winter the exposed areas are very prone to Silverleaf disease. I have included link below -
Last edited by digthatchick; 29-08-2010 at 09:08 PM.http://www.robingardens.com
Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.
- 30-08-2010, 06:24 AM #3
- Join Date
- Oct 2006
- Lowestoft, Suffolk
- Blog Entries
Silver leaf affects the leaves and branches, causing the tree to die back, not the fruit itself. It sounds very much like brown rot Brown Rot of Stone Fruit - Tree Fruit & Berry Pathology I have the same problem.
- 30-08-2010, 08:32 PM #4
Heavy rainfall can cause fruits to swell too quickly and split - which then allows rots to enter. Watering during dry spells will keep the fruit growing at a steady rate throughout the season.
Also pest damage (maggots, wasps etc) can cause small damaged areas on the skin which allow rots to enter.
If pests are a problem, you may want to pick the fruit slightly under-ripe (before the pests attack it) and then ripen in a sunny window.
- By PrideRavyn in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 0Last Post: 19-04-2010, 09:42 PM
- By Incy in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 4Last Post: 28-03-2010, 04:21 PM
- By Mac in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 8Last Post: 08-07-2009, 05:36 PM
- By Tyto Alba in forum Weeds, Pests and DiseasesReplies: 7Last Post: 25-10-2008, 10:13 AM
- By p54jes in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 1Last Post: 26-06-2008, 04:37 PM