+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 21
Thread: gooseberry flowers
- 21-04-2006, 01:29 PM #1
When should I expect to see flowers starting on my gooseberry bushes? They seem to be doing okay but no signs of buds yet, I've never grown them before so don't know. One was planted at Easter last year but didn't produce any fruit.
- 21-04-2006, 02:04 PM #2
They tend not to produce fruit in the first year until they establish, they will start to bud around now and flower in the next three-four weeks.Best wishes
Harbinger of Rhubarb tales
- 21-04-2006, 02:18 PM #3
Thanks, I guess I'll have to be patient then.
- 21-04-2006, 04:39 PM #4Early Fruiter
- Join Date
- Mar 2006
- Dublin, Ireland. East Coast.
My gooseberry is full of blossom at the minute. This is the second year, and like you, have no experience with gooseberries, but looking good at the moment. regards
- 22-04-2006, 06:01 AM #5Sprouter
- Join Date
- Jan 2006
Still waiting for blossom here - I suppose it depends where you are in the country and what the weather has been like for you.
Won't be long now!
- 22-04-2006, 07:56 AM #6
Its quite strange on my plot. We have two beds of 4 bushes, 4 are in flower, 2 are in leaf but no flowers yet and 2 are just braking bud. All are within 5 yards of each other.
Whilst there are 3 varieties, 2 varieties are still at different stages with 1 bush in flower an 2 not any where near.http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
updated - 21st November "This time I mean it"
- 24-04-2006, 03:29 PM #7
I've just found a few buds and flowers on two of my bushes. Don't think I'll have enough for a crumble this year though
- 25-04-2006, 11:04 AM #8
Just leaves on my baby gooseberry in a pot at the moment. Watch out for the dreaded sawfly larvae when the weather warms up or they will strip your bushes in no time.I pulled our last gooseberry up a few years ago as it kept getting decimated but missed it so have got a new one in a pot to try & confuse the sawflies by moving it around.Into every life a little rain must fall.
- By onion man in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 4Last Post: 23-08-2010, 01:27 PM
- By NOG in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 20Last Post: 06-07-2009, 05:51 PM
- By parrot1974 in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 9Last Post: 02-07-2008, 04:27 PM
- By Cloud in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 2Last Post: 06-06-2008, 12:31 AM
- By poultrychat in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 4Last Post: 15-03-2006, 03:51 PM