Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
Results 129 to 136 of 136
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: Perennial Tomato Experiment!

  1. #129
    Urban's Avatar
    Urban is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    Tom's are technically perrenials - you just need tropical heat and light. Think you need 20 degrees C or thereabouts... and probably artificial light in the winter months

    I believe they tend to be quite shirt lived perrenials anyway.

    I wouldn't bother - and I spent a week building a slug trebuchet a couple of years ago...

    But if it floats your boat give it a go - certainly a challenge! Believe Mally got some results - unfortunately the pics are long gone.
    what if you keep cloning a plant from armpits to keep it going, does it retain its vigour? or slowly get weaker and weaker

  2. #130
    ameno is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban View Post
    what if you keep cloning a plant from armpits to keep it going, does it retain its vigour? or slowly get weaker and weaker
    Cuttings in general usually retain their vigour, as they are taken from fresh, young tissue. Certainly, my sweet potato plants this year a very vigorous (completely taking over the conservatory), and they were grown from cuttings overwintered from last year's plants.
    I can't say for sure how well it works with tomatoes, though.
    Last edited by ameno; 17-07-2019 at 02:47 AM.
    Snoop Puss likes this.

  3. #131
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    3,662
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I don't think taking from the armpits itself would reduce the vigour... its a method of cloning...

    Your problems will be almost entirely down to climatic conditions...
    Snoop Puss likes this.

    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

  4. #132
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    3,662
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    ... you may have no problems at all of course
    Snoop Puss likes this.

    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

  5. #133
    Urban's Avatar
    Urban is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    I don't think taking from the armpits itself would reduce the vigour... its a method of cloning...

    Your problems will be almost entirely down to climatic conditions...
    Going to be taking them inside for the winter. Probably with supplemental lighting
    Snoop Puss likes this.

  6. #134
    ameno is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban View Post
    Going to be taking them inside for the winter. Probably with supplemental lighting
    I might recommend cuttings of cuttings.
    Cuttings taken this year are likely to be in a less than ideal state come next spring.
    It might be a better idea to take cuttings a bit earlier this year (late August, maybe) and grow them into slightly more robust, but still reasonable compact, plants before winter, then overwinter those plants and then take cuttings from those plants in early spring to make your new plants for next year.
    Snoop Puss likes this.

  7. #135
    Babru is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh seaside
    Posts
    352

    Default

    I've just sown three each of Tiny Tim and Windowbox Red, as I had seed from VC's early tomato challenge this year.

    I plan to overwinter them, using my led light in the darker months I expect, and hopefully getting some early tomatoes next year. A few edibles in May would be good
    veggiechicken likes this.

  8. #136
    Urban's Avatar
    Urban is offline Rooter
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babru View Post
    I've just sown three each of Tiny Tim and Windowbox Red, as I had seed from VC's early tomato challenge this year.

    I plan to overwinter them, using my led light in the darker months I expect, and hopefully getting some early tomatoes next year. A few edibles in May would be good
    I'd of thought you would have fruit by Christmas planting them now

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts