Nuts about nuts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts about nuts

Does anyone know if it is possible to grow any kinds of nuts in this country - peanuts/pistachios/cashews in particular. Am in the south if that helps?
    See our brand new allotment - a work in progress - at http://catherineandclaresallotment.blogspot.com/

Very very tricky, if not impossible. You are aiming a bit high with those types.

Cashews grow on very large trees in the tropical rainforest - I would give them a miss. You can see them growing in the Palm House at Kew Gardens.

Peanuts grow on shrubs - the nuts grow under the ground, bizarrely - but need warmer temperatures and more light than we have. It is possible to grow them here - I have heard of it - but very difficult.

Certainly these could not be grown outside in the UK.

Do you have an aversion to our own native nuts? Walnuts, cobnuts/ hazelnuts and chestnuts grow naturally here and, with a bit of squirrel control, can be very productive.
    Last edited by Cutecumber; 19-09-2007, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Not of course not! I was really wondering how those types grew and didn't want to sound stupid by presuming they grew on bushes! Thanks for your help - I guess I won't be growing any seeing as I don't have access to a rainforest!
      See our brand new allotment - a work in progress - at http://catherineandclaresallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Newbietogardening
        Hi, you could add almonds to the list.

I did grow some peanuts last year, as I was fascinated to see how they grow with the shoot that buries itself in the ground, They did work, I even got some peanuts - 6 pods from 2 plants! So unless you've got an extremely large empty greenhouse not worth doing unless for interest.

I've stopped buying all foreign nuts except walnuts now to try and use only locally grown ones which in Kent are cobnuts. Many an evening spent in cracking them open and then drying them for winter use. The big benefit is you get a wonderful mulch from the outer covering and shells and last year some of the dud nuts rooted and I've now got three little cobnut trees.

Have a look at the Agroforestry website, if there are any native/non-British nut and fruit trees around, they will have them.
        Sue

Comment

Newbietogardening, you should be able to grow Hazel Nuts. My sister lives in Dorset and gets a good crop from Hazels grown as part of a mixed hedge. I planted a hazel this year . It has grown well and expect it to be successful in the end. Good luck with your quest for nuts.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

What Hazelnut to grow

Hi good people of the vine, I want to buy a couple of hazelnuts to plant near to my bee hive, what varieties should I look out for please?
            and....
            I have a bought hazel at home, it has very small nuts. There are a number of small hazel plants growing around the bush- if I re-plant them will they be 'true' to the main bush?
            Many thanks

Comment

Not sure about varieties, but for things like this I would start by seeing if Ken Muir has some.

http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/

Comment

Forget the cashews, brazil nuts etc. Go for native varieties like Hazelnuts, walnuts, sweet chestnuts etc. You can try peanuts, but no guarantee of success.

Comment

I have hazels this year from our hedge, and I've bought some local Kent cobnuts. Do I have to dry them? How do other people store theirs? Would really like to crack my own nuts after Xmas lunch. All advice gratefully accepted!
                  Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

pop down to Eden Project if you can, and see their peanut plants. Lentils too!
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by kentvegplot View Post
                      .........Would really like to crack my own nuts after Xmas lunch. All advice gratefully accepted!

Don't do it, its painful.

Or did you mean "my own hazel nuts"?
                      Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                      Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                      I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

All you need to do to keep your nuts till Xmas is keep them cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Palustris View Post
                          All you need to do to keep your nuts till Xmas is keep them cool!
                          Sit in a bucket of ice then!?

Apart from those already mentioned you might be able to get crops from the following; in time and if you have the space-Remember that most fruit or nut trees will be more successful if they have a pollination partner nearby.

So, you might try: Pecans, Hickories,Chinese nutmeg, Stone Pines, Monkeypuzzle or Ginkgo Biloba (maidenhair)

For hazles I refer you to the excellent article in the 'the Garden' mag. Jan 06....if your not an RHS member or don't know one with back issues then,in brief, you will fare better if you have more than one variety for pollination purposes. They are usually propagated by mound layering as nuts will not come true to type from open pollinated nuts. Coppicing or single stem pruning is a subject by itself- but not difficult.

Here are some cultivars I would recommend for taste and yield:

Corylus maxima Kentish Cob,Ennis,Butler
                          Corylus avellana Corybel, Webb's prize cob

You might find them at
                          http://www.crown-nursery.co.uk
                          or
                          http://www.agroforestry.co.uk

Comment

What about pistachios? Any word on them?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X