Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvesting redcurrants

Well my bush is laden with berries. The problem is, the ripening strings
    Have deeply red berries at the top and pure white ones at the bottom.
    Has any reader got a wizzy way of harvesting redcurrants?
    Last edited by goodolpete; 15-07-2019, 11:12 AM.

I've had this problem for the last couple of years on many of my redcurrant and blackcurrant bushes, particularly the earlier fruiting varieties. I put this down to the dodgy weather/late start to summer we've had in the last two years. The lack of sunshine is holding back the ripening on the strigs. You could remove a few leaves around the fruit to let more sunshine fall on them, or just wait for he bottom ones to ripen and take care not to lose the overripe top ones. I've found that it doesn't take much exposure to sunshine and warmth to close the gap between top and bottom ripening times. The late varieties don't seem to suffer from this problem because they get more of what they need to ripen.

Comment

as long as you have more than you need I'd just pick the strigs off whole, then hold them upside down by the unripe end and use a fork in your other hand to separate the ripe berries into a bowl. Usually your time is the most expensive thing you put in to gardening, so there's no point wasting it.
      Last edited by nickdub; 15-07-2019, 12:23 PM.

Comment

If redcurrants are anything like whitecurrants, the ripe ones keep for weeks on the bush. So just wait until the lower fruit are ripe, the upper ones should be fine.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.
          Have stripped the leaves, which seems to have made a difference.
          Incidentally, I couldn’t prune this bush last winter (recovering from heart problems)
          and somehow, the harvest was twice as great as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
            If redcurrants are anything like whitecurrants, the ripe ones keep for weeks on the bush. So just wait until the lower fruit are ripe, the upper ones should be fine.
            Agree with this..
            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
            sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X